Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Trouble trying to print on small paper - xara and printer software in a battle

Hey guys, I don't know how many of you have trouble with this but I am wondering if anyone else has and if so what you used as a work around.

I am trying to print small items like a test run of business cards - printer software is Canon. Even though paper size in Xara is 3.5 x 2inches my paper size selected in the printer dialogue lists 8.5 x 11. The printer then disregards the paper size and object size in Xara and prints 8.5 x 11 sized business cards.

Is there a way to make the printer just print the actual Xara sized objects without resorting to fiddling with page sizes?
    Thanks!!

Default Re: Trouble trying to print on small paper - xara and printer software in a battle

you will have to tile the 'Xara' page on your printer. Or Set Xara to a 8.5X11 page size and tile your disign within Xara the print. You canon software is assuming you want your page printed it doesn't know you want it tiled.
    Angelize posted a template here for printing Business cards. Do a search and use her template.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: Trouble trying to print on small paper - xara and printer software in a battle

Have you checked your printer setup. I think the default is "fit to page" , you can change this.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Thanks guys, I finally figured out how to override in my printer dialogue settings but it is still a giant pain if you wish to print on a card stock other that the sizes available in your printer.

I had an awful time with the printer scaling my Xara document to fit the page that was closest to my desired output. It would be nice if Xara could just override printer settings but I guess the printer companies would not be happy. Thanks for the link to the business card template.

were you using this xara option?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print options.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	84934  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

If you can't find the template that Jim (scotty) mentioned let me know and I'll post it again. I also have one for use with Designer Pro 7 that takes advantage of the new live copy feature, if anyone is interested?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

That would be so nice if you posted those for caryjames benefit Frances. I searched for it awhile ago but couldn't find it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Ok here are both templates. These are standard US letter size pages(8.5 x 11 in)

The first template is a very simple blank document with guidelines laid out in a simple 10 card set up.
    Business cards.xar

The second is a fully designed Designer Pro 7 template complete with graphics and an extra inside guide for keeping a margin around the text on the cards, and also makes use of DP7's new live copy feature. Just highlight the text and replace it on one copy and all copys change! There are 2 named colours and also a clipped group (the swirls) that is a live copy too. You will need DP7 to use the live copy feature.
    Business cards template.xar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Hi
    this is basically addressed to Angelize...I have the templates on my system...but neglected to re-post as they are your work...so thought you should be responsible for re-sharing..
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Thanks Jim. I hope that the templates have been useful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]