Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Export named colours

Is it possible to export a document's named colours only, as a sort of swatch file, which could then be imported into another document?

Default Re: Export named colours

There isn't a feature to export the named colours but there is a way to use the named colours from an existing file.

First in Options > View you need to uncheck the "Delete unused colors when saving and loading".

Open the file that has the named colours you wish to use.

Start your new document, open the Color Gallery and locate the filename that has the colours you want. Right click the name and select Show in Color Line. The named colours will now be on the new documents Color Line.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes no problem! Just export using PDF and then import it to your programme. If you are importing it to an Adobe programme you should have no problems but when you export from Xara the colours must be named as you stated.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Albacore, does the .AI eps format work as well as far as the named colors?

Hello Bill. I tried out your suggestion but couldn't get it to work as you describe. Having opened the new document I right-clicked the named colour in the swatch file but the 'Show in Color Line' was already ticked - which is what I would expected as this relates to the use of that colour in the swatch file not the new one. I could simply drag that colour into the new file but thats not quite what I'm after...

I've attached 2 .xar files to help explain. Both have 3 coloured boxes, each with named colors 1, 2 and 3. I want to be able to replace named colours 1,2,3 in swatch.xar with the named colours 1,2,3 from swatch2.xar. Possible?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Don't right click the colour name, click the blue folder within the Color Gallery that contains the colours you wish to use.

No you cannot automatically replace named colours in one file with those from another even if the names are the same within both files. You must assign the colour from the new file to the shapes within the older file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill. Shame you can't replace named colours though. One for Dear Xara.

No there aree colour inaccuracies in the .ai. eps export. They are close but they are out by about 2%. That's why we have the Pro version for PDF and Pantone.
    Design is thinking made visual.