Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Image Size and Resolution

I am trying to size a simple graphic/logo so that it is a certain number of pixels wide at 300dpi.

For example, I need the image to be 3 inches wide and able to be printed at 300dpi.

How do I specify the exact image dimensions and maintain a DPI of 300?

Thanks.

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiversRunning4.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	84725  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Image Size and Resolution

When you export your graphic the pixels change but not the actual size. If you have a 3inch rectangle on the page and export it at 300dpi you will see a much larger amount in pixels but if you reimport that same rectangle back into Xara it will show as a 3inch photo at 300dpi and will print out this way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi, 3"x300dpi is 900 pixels. If you intend to print at 300 dpi, just multiply your needed inches by 300dpi. If you need to print at 600dpi, then multiply your needed inch size by 600.

If I'm printing out an image for framing, and I need 9x7.5 inches, then my pixel size would be 2700x2250.

XX exports at 96dpi but that doesn't matter. If you export your image at the correct pixel size, you can then use a raster photo program to change the dpi without changing pixel dimensions of the image under the 'resize' option. I use PaintShopProXI but Gimp is free and there are many others available.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

The best way is Frances' method. If you are designing a 2" x 3" card, make the page size 2" x 3". Then, when you export your image simply chose the desired resolution for your output: 96dpi for web work, 300 dpi for images sent to printers, 600 dpi for high-resolution print work, or whatever other resolution you desire. YOU CAN type in a resolution in the export box, rather than using one of the defaults if you want something that isn't listed (such as 600 dpi).

Best wishes,
    David