Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Backup file to the rescue!

Thank goodness for the auto backup feature in WD7! I made a slight change to a client site and clicked SAVE. Part way through, WD7 froze up. I had to reboot - couldn't even terminate the program. After reboot, tried to open the file and it said unreadable file. Near panic. I did a search on this forum for corrupt file and saw a thread about the backup directory (I had forgotten about it). I found it on my Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\Bob.RWR\Local Settings\Application Data\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\7.0\Backups

I copied the latest backup into my client directory and voila - it opened! I normally save new versions every so often (clientweb1, clientweb2, etc.) just in case something like this happens... except in this case my previous version saved was a week old and I had done hours of work since then. If you do not have Auto Backup turned on, I highly recommend you turn it on!

Default Re: Backup file to the rescue!

It is perhaps the best and most useful function of the new series of Xara products. I cannot tell you how many times it has saved the bacon.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

The back up feature has saved my bacon a time or two as well. I recall once the power went off just as I hit save and because the file was in the middle of being saved when everything shut down it was corrupted, the backup saved a lot of work that time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

steve ledger came up with a gr8 idea and to change the location for the back ups from hard drive to to a the cloud e.g drop box so if the computer fries/ house fire/lap top stolen you still have a copy to download

Scruffy