Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Some things I want/need to learn to do -

After reading posts here I really feel very dumb (and I am old to boot) - I can learn, but terminology can often get very lost on me.
    so I do hope I wont be too much of a pain, asking on how to learn things.

Ok, some things I want to begin to lean how to do (because I am now in a position within several clubs) is to create stuff like Certificates - Raffle Ticket, Flyers.

Later on once I have mastered that I do want to move on to photo's etc.

Now, I use MS Office 2007 and have the word and publisher programs which have very basic graphic stuff, and am reasonably competent using things like clip art and inserting photos from my computer and from usb drives.
    However, I admit that I cant even create my own "themes" by changing colours etc as it does say I should be able to do that

I dislike the stuff already on there, as it is very boring.

I have had a look at several of the programs suggested in my other post, and they all seem to do much the same, and most of the stuff that they say they do, I dont really understand either - terminology of the wording suggests that I need to really begin at a much lower level.

As, I have some template types and it is more just changing stuff like a particular graphic and or text, but the whole template says it is a picture and I cant seem to change any part. What programs would I need to look at to be able to do this type of stuff.

Default Re: Some things I want/need to learn to do -

no one who asks for help is dumb, and old is only a state of mind

yes - you will need to get to grips with the program - with xara there are video tutorials for the basics, and Gary's excellent resource: xaraxone

other programs can have similar

there are sites you can download stuff from - they tend to be a mixed bag but good old google or bing etc should throw up a few... and one may grab your attention

here's one picked at random:

http://www.freeprintablecertificates.net/

there are also sites where you can 'design' [put together] your own stuff online without needing to buy a program but these are even more of a mixed bag and if you choose to use one, read the small print first.... and be very wary of downloading any programs from unverified sources - you should not need to do this simply in order for a site to 'work'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Some things I want/need to learn to do -

Mirrabook, my suggestion would be to download a trial copy of Xara and watch and try the demo videos to start with. Get a feeling for the program and try some of Gary's excellent tuts. Xara is a very capable program to use for what you want to do. As you work through it you will find the members here very helpful with any questions you have. After the trial period you can decide if it's the program you're looking for.