Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is it Possible to Export a PDF with Bleed Margins?

I am using Graphic Designer 6 and am trying to include my bleed margins in the final PDF for the printer. Can't seem to get this accomplished. Does anyone know if/how that can be done?

Thanks,

Mark

Default Re: Is it Possible to Export a PDF with Bleed Margins?

You can set up your bleed margin in the Page Options menu. Then extend your bleed graphics off the page. The resulting PDF will have the extra bleed margin added. But there will not be any crop marks for your printer to work with.

Xara Designer Pro has an additional set of Print Options (attachment) that let you specify printers marks, so that the bleed and trim marks can be added to your PDF file. Your printer can tell you which of these marks they would like.

But, as I said, this is not available in Photo and Graphic Designer. So if you are going to be doing a lot of print work, then consider upgrading to Designer Pro 7.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bleed-margin.png 
Views:	370 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	84667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print-options.png 
Views:	354 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	84668  

The poor-man's means of accomplishing this in a piece of software where it is not a set up option, is to define the page say 1/2" (or a mm equiv) larger in both dimensions. Then create and position your own crop marks. It helps in doing this to define guides on the page (top-bottom, left-right) that are the size of the page you intend the trim to be. Then snap the crop marks in place, allowing a 1/16" or so away from where the "page" corners are so the crop marks will not show if there is slight creep when the page is trimmed by the printer.

Then, make sure to define the same page size when the PDF is created if GD6 automatically creates the proper page size (I have XDP). So if not, download and install a PDF print driver that does allow custom page sizes.

Take care, Mike

Thumbs up Re: Is it Possible to Export a PDF with Bleed Margins?

Thanks for the info, guys! I just need to do the upgrade and that will be the easy way to deal with the problem.

Gary you are everywhere on here! Thanks for all you do for us

Mark

You're welcome.

Hey Gary,

I upgraded to 7 but I cannot find those advanced print options that you mentioned. Can you tell me where I can find those at? I sure appreciate it. A lot of the work that I do is for print and having the ability to export bleed lines will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Mark