Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Type and Control V issue

Designer Pro 7. For whatever reason I cannot paste type from an email either with the Paste Command, or Ctrl V. Did a copy and paste of something out of a gallery and that's all that will paste. Now when I try to type in DP7, with fill color selected, nothing types, it's just blank. Input appreciated.

Default Re: Type and Control V issue

Is DP7 the only app that's happening in? I'm asking because I've had several instances in the last month or so in which my system suddenly stopped accepting type. At first, I thought it was my keyboard, but it isn't. I haven't yet determined whether it's my computer or something to do with Windows. When it happens, the only thing that will straighten it out is rebooting.

Have you tried closing and reopening Xara?

Do you see the flashing red "caret"? When you type does the caret move across the page?

Try typing something, then press Ctrl+A and then click on a colour in the colour bar.

If you still don't see anything after that, go into the Selector tool and press Escape twice, then go back to the Text tool, click on the page and type. Hopefully you should see something then.

Phil

Amore it doesn't seem to be happening in any other app. I've typed, both in Word and Word Pad and they type fine. For a while Phil I couldn't even type. When I keystroked it would but nothing would show and fill color/line were checked. Rebooting will probably correct the problem, and I will do that. Thanks.

Hopefully rebooting will solve your problem.

Just a note: sometimes inadvertent feathering can make type 'invisible', this has happened to me on occasion as I usually have the setting 'Give new objects most recent attributes' (which I assume would still be available in DP7) ... but this is probably not what is happening as it shouldn't stop you from actually typing in.

The lowest 'view quality' (which shows a wireframe) should show you if anything is typing or has been pasted there ... even white text on a white background, or 100% transparent etc.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

'Give new objects most recent attributes' ['gnomra'] is still the default in ver 7 as installed - sometimes I find it useful but only sometimes, so I have it unticked as default
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi GiddyUp,

It would be really helpful if you could try my suggestions and report back before you reboot.

Rebooting doesn't help us developers, or you, or any of the wider audience from learning what the problem really was or how to solve it.

Phil

Phil, did as you requested..nothing. I then rebooted. Same happenings, but here's the strange thing, I can go on the pasteboard and it'll type just fine. The problem I have then is that the type wants to go under the page, and it's an Arrange struggle to get it to the Front; doesn't want to do that. Thanks.

Sounds like you are typing on a layer that is hidden by a large object.

Have you tried typing text on the page in a completely new (ie: blank) document? If it still doesn't work there, and you've already checked basic stuff like fill & line colors, feathering, and the like, then I'd recommend a reinstall.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com