Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Wow!

Default Wow!

An upcoming (???) PhotoShop addition which will be awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxjiQ...layer_embedded

Default Photoshop Image Deblurring feature

At the Adobe MAX 2011 event in LA last week, the company gave a sneak peek into an advanced Image Deblurring feature that may appear in an upcoming version of Photoshop. Provided with a blurred photograph, the feature uses advanced algorithms to calculate the camera movements that caused the blur, which allows the program to do a very accurate unblurring of the photograph. The video is a bit shaky and the quality isn’t the best, but judging from the audience’s reaction when the example photo is unblurred, the feature works extremely well and caused a lot of jaws to drop.

Added for the benefit of those readers who, like me, would prefer to see a meaningful title and post.

Link: http://www.petapixel.com/2011/10/10/...-to-photoshop/
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: Wow!

Thanks for posting that!

It could prove useful for solving Riks puzzles.

Default Re: Wow!

A very impressive piece of software that shows some of the tech advantages of digital photos over photographs or would it do the same on a digitized blurry photograph? Makes one wonder where technology will be in 50 years. Thanks for the link, David.

Default Re: Photoshop Image Deblurring feature

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    ...Added for the benefit of those readers who, like me, would prefer to see a meaningful title and post.
    Thank you, Big Frank (or do you no longer want to be called that?).

In my defense, I used few words because of fear about making some comment regarding Xara really dropping the ball, graphics-wise. (Wow! What a sentence! Five phrases? Or six?) A certain fan-boi attitude in these parts still rings in my memory...

I'm just kidding, but not by much! Mainly just too busy and lazy to write anything that time, unlike my usual. And I still use Xtreme extensively for my work, so it's not a dislike of their software.

If those were your own words, they were really well crafted!

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    ...would it do the same on a digitized blurry photograph?...
    I believe it would. The concept seems simple, once grasped (if I have done so). All it is doing is figuring out the focal path 'sweep' of the camera for the duration of the shutter's open time, and reversing it. Implementation, on the other hand, was probably a hell of a lot of work, and the math would be classified as 'advanced' in any university!

Once digitized, there is no real difference between film-based and digital-camera based photos. That is, if the intermediary equipment is good and the scanning resolution is high enough.

The limitation I see is inferior optics. If you don't have decent equipment to begin with, you still may not end up with a very good pic. The process will correct the sweep and improve that problem to a large extent, as shown in their cellphone example.

David

Default Re: Photoshop Image Deblurring feature

I have to say that "Wow!" has an air of mystery and excitment, while the more descriptive thread name made me think of a movie title - "Curb your enthusiasm". I'm not usually a fan of essentially meaningless thread titles - particularly when the word "New" is used, but I kinda like "Wow!" as a great attention catcher and I hope that that kind of enthusiasm isn't drowned out by the need for utter conformity.

Thanks for posting that "Wow!" moment. Wow!

Paul