Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default loving the mask tool

I don't think people really all know how useful the mask tool is! I've been exploring it. It's perfect for working on things like erasing edges of lines, splitting objects, you name it! It's so much better than the older method of having to make objects on top of an object or whatever... Just freaking great!
    Ron Cavagnaro

Default Re: loving the mask tool

Isn't a mask an object?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

yeah, but you know what I mean... I really didn't understand the mask tool until I gave it a shot...!

RonC
    Ron Cavagnaro

Yes Ron I know what you meant. The Mask Tool is handy.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'd say its beyond handy, it is more like revolutionary. If people havent checked this out, please do!! I don't think it's been given enough attention in function etc.
    Ron Cavagnaro

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    I'd say its beyond handy, it is more like revolutionary. If people havent checked this out, please do!! I don't think it's been given enough attention in function etc.
    You seem to have a real grasp of it.

Maybe you might give us some small tutorials and show us the 'Power of the Mask' ???

I ,for one, would love to see what you've done with it.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

well, simply put- for me it is amazing because it replaces the need to make objects to slice things up. Say you have a circle and wanted to make a pepsi logo out of it. Easy- click on mask, draw the spline through the circle, and then simply press ctrl-4, bam you've got your split. Of course this was done in earlier versions with drawing an object, but it felt cumbersome, and was "in the way". Also, it's awesome that we can use the mask tool with all of the photo editing tools such as the smart scale, enhance, and live fx. Maybe I'm just over-enthusiastic, but I'm so excited to own Xara and discover all of these crazy cool features.
    Ron Cavagnaro

Guest Guest

Say you have a circle and wanted to make a pepsi logo out of it. Easy- click on mask, draw the spline through the circle, and then simply press ctrl-4, bam you've got your split.
    How is that any different than drawing an object over the Circle? You in fact do exactly the same in thing in Mask-Mode but its just getting visualized a bit differently with the Overlay.
    In fact you even need at least one click more than by doing the Cut Operation without the Mask - you need to turn on Mask-Mode.
    I preferred not having to use Ctrl+4 but wished to be able do declare an object as a Cutter already while drawing - in a way it is possible in Illustrator.
    As soon as you close the curve it cuts a hole. Nice is also the Auto-Separation in Sketchbook-Designer.
    Last edited by polyxo; 08 October 2011 at 07:13 AM.

in mask mode when you draw an arc it closes the shape automatically, which does not happen out of mask mode - also by default the mask is translucent, you don't have to set/change the current object attributes particularly useful when working with 'give new objects most recent attributes' [gnomra] active, which is now the program default

also you can slice multiple objects all at the same time

mask mode is nothing earth shatteringly new, but it is a useful alternative to other ways
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Guest Guest

in mask mode when you draw an arc it closes the shape automatically
    Ok - I see this but there could obviously also be a normal Draw-Mode which automatically closes paths.
    also by default the mask is translucent, you don't have to set/change the current object attributes particularly useful when working with 'give new objects most recent attributes' [gnomra] active, which is now the program default
    Here I'd say that advantage only exists when drawing open curves.
    Using Gnomra on closed paths one still has the option to use transparent Preview at creation time, which is nice.
    Again I would not see explicit justification to employ a mask. If Xara instead tracked the colour underneath and used a contrasting Preview
    Colour for Curves at creation time one had the same effect without having to resort to another Tool (which I have need for otherwisely as I do not use
    Xara's Photo-Options).
    also you can slice multiple objects all at the same time
    That also works outside of Mask-Mode with Ctrl+4, no?