Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Not able to fill outlined graphic

I'm having the same issue. I've outlined a rather complex shape, and I'm trying to fill it with color. But the color goes all over the place instead of within the shape's lines. Now, if I export that shape to Photoshop, the paint bucket has no trouble filling in the shape without spilling over it and into the background. So what's the deal? BTW, I appreciate all of the advice I've gotten here so far, but I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I should return Xara for a refund. I'm finding it to be a very frustrating program to use.

in photoshop there is a tolerance to the fill [which you can adjust] - in xara there is no such tolerance, there must be no gaps whatsoever, no matter how small - even one pixel missing, or a gap covered only by a partially transparent pixel, can be enough to spill the colour out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    There is also what I like to call the cartoonist method, draw your lines on one layer create a second layer below the first draw your colour shapes there
    This is what I do. I generally have at least two layers: Outlines and Fills. I might add a Highlights layer in between if the shading is fairly complex. And if I want a heavier line around the outside of the object, I'll duplicate the Outlines layer, put it underneath everything, and change the line widths to something heavier (you have to set them to twice the actual width you want to display, because half of the lines are covered by the other layers.

-- Ben
    Last edited by ad1066; 05 October 2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    This is what I do. I generally have at least two layers: Outlines and Fills. I might add a Highlights layer in between if the shading is fairly complex. And if I want a heavier line around the outside of the object, I'll duplicate the Outlines layer, put it underneath everything, and change the line widths to something heavier (you have to set them to twice the actual width you want to display, because half of the lines are covered by the other layers.

-- Ben
    So...you're actually outlining your art twice? Once as an outline, and once as shapes to fill in with color?

Quote Originally Posted by mg.architect View Post
    @wizard509: What are you doing in step 2? Are you using the Add Shapes command on the lines from step 1? Or are you creating shapes of each segment? You've lost me in the two steps.
    Thanks,
    mg
    1. All I did was drag select all the lines and 2. From the Arrange menu Combine shapes/Add shapes. 3. Then from the Arrange menu break shapes. From there you have filled shapes so get rid of the top one and the what remains will be all the broken filled shapes which you can select individually and color. It might be easier to drag select all of them and clear the fill color so you can see where they are. I don't think it is necessary to convert line to shape unless you want to add some effects to the lines.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Wizard - That is definitely the method I was trying to figure out, but I never would have thought to add the shapes and then break them... Thanks a bunch!

Toonicorn - I hear you there... I mainly used Flash to create my graphics and Photoshop to polish them up. Xara's the least intuitive software that I've come across in a long time, but I'd encourage you to keep at it. It definitely gets easier, and any time I'm stumped I come here for answers and am never disappointed. Its capabilities have pretty much negated any need I had for the other two programs.

I have definitely learned a lot in this thread, thanks to all for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Toonicorn View Post
    So...you're actually outlining your art twice? Once as an outline, and once as shapes to fill in with color?
    Yeah, basically. The fills are separate objects from the lines. That way I have complete control over them.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Toonicorn- I was very upset when I learned this about the lack of a "fill tool". If you actually look up this guy's techniques >> http://www.youtube.com/user/sofafire

you'll see how actually it is a very awesome way of accomplishing it. No better way to see how it's done than a video of it.

I personally really think we should someday get a vector fill tool, but until then, seriously TRY out these methods. It might surprise you how it works out, maybe even better than the other software.
    Ron Cavagnaro

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Both Ben, and sofafire who used to participate here as Bob Hahn use the "cartoonist method" I was referring to in my earlier post. I first learned the technique from some of Bob's posts here. And yes it is a very good way to do it, and if you name your colours and add shading as shades of your named colours you will have easily colour changeable graphics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Again, though... I still don't understand why they haven't implemented a true "vector fill" option. Maybe the entire engine would need a re-code. Either way, I've tried other illustration programs, and since we got realtime line drawing, nothing's beaten Xara for me yet.
    Ron Cavagnaro