Although Paint Shop Pro X4 runs the filters from Topaz Labs correctly on a single file, PSPX4 chokes when running the filters as part of a script in batch files. Not only was the program unable to apply the plug-ins correctly in a batch file, the errors were different depending on the plug-in.

I ran my tests on 8 JPG files with dimensions of 4021x3024 pix, file size averaging 2.8 MB. I then reduced the files to 800x600 pix dimensions and ran the same tests. Results were the same on both size groups. I recorded a script with only each Topaz filter, then tested the script on a single image. The script worked. The problems occurred when run in batch processing. I tested against another company's plug-in, running Alien Skin's Xenofex 2 Burnt Edges in a batch file with script on the 8 images with no problem. I also tested the same Topaz Labs filters in PhotoLine 16, recording and playing actions. The plug-ins ran perfectly in PhotoLine.

When batch processing was run in PSPX4, it was run with the test script selected and silent mode selected. Silent mode means the script should run from start to finish with no intervention by the user. Here's what happened in my tests.

Topaz Adjust 4 - Batch file runs correctly through 4 images, then the process freezes. The Windows Task Manager shows PSPX4 to be "running."

Topaz Detail 2 - Batch file runs correctly through 4 images, then the process freezes. The Windows Task Manager shows PSPX4 to be "running."

Topoaz Clean 3 - Batch file runs, but Topaz window opens on each file, requiring user selection before progressing to next file. However, the process freezes after the fourth image. The Windows Task Manager shows PSPX4 to be "running."

Topaz InFocus - Batch file runs, but Topaz window opens on each file, requiring user selection before progressing to next file. However, the process freezes after the fourth image. The Windows Task Manager shows PSPX4 to be "running."

Topaz Lens Effects - Batch file runs, but Topaz window opens on each file, requiring user selection before progressing to next file. However, the process freezes after the fourth image. The Windows Task Manager shows PSPX4 to be "running."

Topaz DeNoise 5 - Batch file runs for all 8 files, however Topaz window opens on each file, requiring user selection.

Bob