Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Guest Guest

Default using Vectors as a Fill?

Hi All,
    I realize that one can use a Bitmap as a Fill for some shape and that one can tile it. That's nice.
    But is there also a way to create some Vector-Shapes as an interactive Fill for some other shape - while having the Input retain editable?
    Thanks for any Input!

Default Re: using Vectors as a Fill?

cilpview?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Guest Guest

Thanks, I did not think of this!
    But how do I get the grouped Input to tile? Seems not to get offered when clicking the Fill-Tool with the clipped Group selected.

only bitmaps will tile automatically - as far as I know

what I was thinking of was not using the fill tool - just clipview

if you make the shape you want to fill the clipping shape, you can resize the shape inside, but if you want it to tile you would need to set that up manually - it's not ideal I will grant if you want to update, you don't say which version of xara you are using, if it is designer pro 7 then 'live copies' might help, but I don't have the pro 7 version to try it out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Guest Guest

I have Version 7 but it does not really do the trick either.
    Live-Copies might work in some limited Scenarios but would require previous manual tiling.
    Live-Copies also do not store Transforms - so if you move, scale or rotate the Input all Live-Copies just stay in place...
    What I was thinking of was Functionality found in Pattern Studio, such as visible here I'm pretty sure that was very easy to add.

Basically it was an automatic patterning of Input Geometry by their Bounding Box while leaving all components editable.
    Here one sees the entire pattern but you certainly could imagine the pattern clipped to the Boundaries of a Fill-Objects.

I think you are looking for the 'blend' option. Here's an example. Create a circle. Create the second circle. Blend between them. GROUP THE BLEND <-- very important. Copy blend. Can 'Ctrl' click at this point or later to change the colors within the groups. Blend between the blends. Create clipview object, send it to the back, and perform clipview. To do complicated, interwoven patterns as shown in your link, it may get VERY complicated in Xtreme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junk.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	84392  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guest Guest

Thanks - also for attaching the sample!
    I can see that this approach may lead to some partial success.
    But this is not actually what I am after and it requires too much of manual setup too.

• Just create a centered round dot on a squarish page.
    • Make a Bitmap-Copy of that dot and fill a Rectangle of the Size of the page with that Image
    • Next set the Bitmap to Tile and play around.

What I'd like to see is exactly this (of course also working on more than just a single dot) with Vectors which stay Life.
    Cool if one not only use rectangular tiling but also Tri or Hex Grids.
    Should be doable with some Scripts...

Edit: I now realize that you were trying to replicate the pattern of the animated gif.
    The pattern however could be just anything and interweaving things is not my ambition.
    I used that Graphic just to explain the underlying tiling principle. All the Rings created in that
    Sample remain editable.
    Last edited by polyxo; 01 October 2011 at 03:33 PM.