Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: CMS, blog and shopping cart integration

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBob View Post
    Do you think it's possible to use Google's Checkout Shopping Cart by pasting the code they provide into placeholders?
    Yes, with XHTML/HTML/Javascript/VBS/Flash/Java-Applet it'll be visual in the software too, depending on how you set up paths and your security settings. For CGI scripts you'll need to set up a test server.

I'm pretty sure everything for Google is Javascript, where they supply code for you to embed.

It would be great if xara did all these things and I am sure that in forthcoming releases they will look at doing them, but let's not forget that in terms of designing a website and publishing it quickly nothing comes near webdesigner, I have tried every solution out there - I am a designer so I look for software which appeals to me as a designer. One of the great things that webdesigner does is placeholders (I know it is not the only software to use these) and using placeholders I have been able to achieve pretty much everything a client has asked for. Adobe recently released a beta of something similar to webdesigner and I have to say that webdesigner wins hands down, and even they do not have dynamic length pages. We should all appreciate what the guys at xara have achieved and I for one am very thankful.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Yeah, given a choice, I would much rather see Xara focus some effort at giving Designer Pro the ability to export templates for wordpress, joomla or drupal. I think that would make DP much more valuable. I'd much rather see better integratation with open source cms that are already popular and widely adopted.
    Sheff
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
    Yeah, given a choice, I would much rather see Xara focus some effort at giving Designer Pro the ability to export templates for wordpress, joomla or drupal. I think that would make DP much more valuable. I'd much rather see better integratation with open source cms that are already popular and widely adopted.
    The smarter path is improving the placeholder editor and *maybe* doing templates there for loops and calls sectioned by CMS in some drop-down. Currently you can z-index and disable clipping and easily integrate anything. I've done it for WP many times.

Another thing you'll likely never see done is widget creation..exporting self-contained markup for embedding.

I can make a list of things that just make sense for DP and WD but I've been using xara stuff for years and have watched their development and responsiveness and don't see any of them happening even in the near future.

EDIT: As has been mentioned here before xara sites use a lot of javascript fixups and windows only fonts, if you're in it for the SEO remember that. They also don't comply with any form of coding standards required for CMS vendor publishing.
    Last edited by tjc; 17 October 2011 at 12:35 AM.

Xara is NOT a CMS application, so it's not being "non-compliant" as you imply.

Web safe fonts are those which are installed on PCs and Macs for starters.

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    I think the OP was really pointing out that it's not possible to use Xara (a HTML generator rather than an editor) to produce HTML that matches the requirements of a specific CMS. This is a reasonable statement because HTML editors are generally able to produce compliant HTML code to suit a specific CMS system. It's not an affront to the HTML generation of Xara.

Ah right, OK :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think the OP was really pointing out that it's not possible to use Xara (a HTML generator rather than an editor) to produce HTML that matches the requirements of a specific CMS. This is a reasonable statement because HTML editors are generally able to produce compliant HTML code to suit a specific CMS system. It's not an affront to the HTML generation of Xara.
    Name one CMS that can't be easily embedded with placeholders? OR name one other software that generates designs for any CMS. Site Grinder is the only I know of and it takes longer than xara DP for WP and others..

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post

Web safe fonts are those which are installed on PCs and Macs for starters.

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html
    I only suggested highlighting and templates on the placeholder editor..

Also your link has no mention of any OS or platform besides OSX and Windows..There are a lot just for x86 desktop alone that have large user-bases.

Quote Originally Posted by tjc View Post
    Name one CMS that can't be easily embedded with placeholders? OR name one other software that generates designs for any CMS. Site Grinder is the only I know of and it takes longer than xara DP for WP and others..
    Placeholders are a workaround for use with Xara and really are a poor way of obtaining CMS functionality. Their great weakness is that they are fixed in size and cannot expand and contract according to the size of the content within them. Normally CMS templates are written using CSS rules that accommodate variable content. This makes Xara a very poor solution for CMS integration. There is an expectation that HTML templates will be produced in a specific way and Xara is very poor at handling content that isn't available at design time.

I don't think Sitegrinder has any relevance to Xaras suitability for CMS integration.

Before anyone else points out that many Xara users are currently using a CMS in conjunction with Xara, I would say, "yes, I know". The problem is that the integration is entirely reliant on placeholders punching"holes" in the Xara page for population by the CMS and that only works for fairly simple scenarios and is not satisfactory for anything that involves much content.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Placeholders are a workaround for use with Xara and really are a poor way of obtaining CMS functionality. Their great weakness is that they are fixed in size and cannot expand and contract according to the size of the content within them. Normally CMS templates are written using CSS rules that accommodate variable content. This makes Xara a very poor solution for CMS integration. There is an expectation that HTML templates will be produced in a specific way and Xara is very poor at handling content that isn't available at design time.

I don't think Sitegrinder has any relevance to Xaras suitability for CMS integration.

Before anyone else points out that many Xara users are currently using a CMS in conjunction with Xara, I would say, "yes, I know". The problem is that the integration is entirely reliant on placeholders punching"holes" in the Xara page for population by the CMS and that only works for fairly simple scenarios and is not satisfactory for anything that involves much content.
    Hence why I only mention enhancing the placeholder editor.

SiteGrinder is an identical workflow and used by all the big sellers and contractors..not sure how it's not "relevant" in this comparison. All the APIs do from these systems is output and process data..This is why you can z-index or absolute and get identical yet faster results with xara.

It doesn't effect me at all if they ignore nuances and user requests..I'm already doing all this 'impossible' stuff in minutes.. I can even export PSD and do flash UIs in Catalyst..the 'impossible' stuff is nice.

Is it really so much to ask for a better placeholder editor?