Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Creating a resolution-independent power-point-like presentation

I would like to use Xara Xtreme/Designer Pro to create slides for a presentation. Rationale: I am used to Xara, and many of the graphics are already in Xara format.

Requirements:
    • Device independence. I will not show the slides on my computer. So Xara will most likely not be available.
    • Resolution independence. The resolution of the screen/projector is unknown.
    • There should be an easy way to flip through the slides, forward and backward, e.g. using the cursor keys left/right, or using the left/right mouse buttons.
    • Support for simple click-through animations.

So far I see three solutions:
    • Create a multi-page document and export to PDF. Problem: I would have to do without animations. Though I could still, for example, create a list of items that is completed click by click.
    • Create an interactive Flash animation. Here the problem is that I don't see a good way to switch between slides. Of course, I could include next and previous buttons. But that seems cumbersome to implement, and during the presentation I don't want to move around a mouse.
    • Create a web-based slide show, now supported in Xara Designer Pro 7. Haven't investigated that thoroughly yet. However, the examples that I tried didn't convince me, didn't work smoothly. Furthermore there is no simple way to switch between slides. And, the result will most likely not be resolution independent.

Any ideas?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Creating a resolution-independent power-point-like presentation

I put together a Web based slide show for my family using designer Pro7's new presentation tools and it came out quite lovely. My presentation was of a family gathering and is filled with personal family photos so I can't post a link here, but my family members had no problem accessing or navigating the presentation and other than the photos all graphics were vectors so resolution was not an issue.

I would encourage you to give DP7 a try for this and you can always come back here for any help along the way!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for the suggestion, Frances. However, there are issues:
    • I want to be able to navigate the slides without moving the mouse cursor. Because, I will be talking at the same time, facing the audience.
    • The vector graphics are converted to bitmap graphics. I just tried that out. So, the web-based presentation is not resolution independent.
    • Some sample presentation that I tried looked pretty clunky, with unpleasant page refreshes when switching to a slide.

I am currently leaning towards the PDF approach.

if you do not know the size [resolution] of your projector you have a problem quite apart from anything else...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you do not know the size [resolution] of your projector you have a problem quite apart from anything else...
    No problem with PDF. Most PDF readers support some sort of full screen mode. And the aspect ratio will most likely be either 16:10 or 16:9. Flash also scales smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by feklee View Post
    Flash also scales smoothly.
    well yes and no - it depends on what you are presenting - if you are presenting a film showreel for example, it's good - if you are presenting pie charts and histograms it is not........

anyway I was referring to the raster web-based option as much as anything...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you are presenting pie charts and histograms it is not
    Pie charts and histograms normally are vector graphics, and Flash is very good for rendering vector graphics. So no problem here. The main problem with Xara and Flash seems setting up slide navigation e.g. using left/right arrow keys. Also full-screen mode could be an issue.

People have used Flash for presentations, though not necessarily with Xara.

have you actually tried it? - flash may be vector, but its line drawing is approximate especially with curves - now you may not be bothered about that, but I would want to take it into consideration..
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve, I don't know where you get your ideas about the graphical effectiveness of the flash platform.

http://www.fusioncharts.com/flex/dem...rer/index.html
    http://www.degrafa.org/samples/

Hi Paul

ok you are an expert in Flash - if it is not something that needs to be considered, fair enough, sorry
    Nothing lasts forever...