Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Putting clip art into the Designs gallery

Hi,

I have an original copy of Corel Xara that I purchased many years ago.

On the disc is a huge amount of clip art and other items, I tried to incorporate these into the Designs Gallery but whilst I could get the graphics to work I could not get the images to show in the drop downs against the icons in the designs gallery. I just got a grey blank panel with the graphic name. This means that I still have to search through the manual to find a specific graphic.

Fortunately I also have the 500'ish page manual (approc 100 per page) for the clip art/symbols/fonts/etc..etc.

I may not use many of the graphics but it would be good to be able to install selected images with the pictures.

Kind regards

Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

Default Re: Putting clip art into the Designs gallery

What file format is the clipart in? And how are you attempting to open it in the Designs Gallery?

Thank you for reply,

The clipart is all .XAR format with an accompanying XARAINFO file with text files for the titles of the individual .XAR files.

The photographs are all jpg's

I don't have any problem opening the files, but I would like them to appear with thumbnails in the drop down when I click the file icon in the Designs Gallery.

I can import the files from the disc (in this example I put the files into drive C and then use disc designs from the Designs Gallery but as shown in the attached screen shot I have loaded file 2959 from 'ANATOMY' but I do not get the thumbnail in the 2959 window.

I suppose my question really is how do I load new Xara clipart into the Designs Gallery.

Kind regards

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANATOMY.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	83791  
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'

I am not sure if this will work, but it is worth a try.

Delete the Xarainfo file. Then go to Designs Gallery > Disc Designs. Select the folder with the clip art and let Xara create a new Index. In doing this, perhaps it will also create new preview images.

Hi Martin, I don't recall if the .xar files previous to Xara X included embeded thumbnails. Hopefully one of the developers will know and provide some guidance as to how to get thumbnails within the Gallery.

Perhaps loading one of the .xar clipart files into Designer Pro 7 and then saving back to your disc folder. Update the Gallery's Disc files to see if that will get a thumbnail image for that file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Many thanks for your assistance, I am really confused by the designs gallery. I can load the clip art without thumbnails as I reported previously.

However, I have recently been making up some posters and for some reason all the .jpg files that I have saved have appeared (with thumbnails) in my designs gallery. I have no idea how this happened but it indicates that I should be able to get thumbnails to appear for the clip art I want to import. I include a screen shot to show this.

I have tried using the More...> Add clipart from disc, but however I try to use this it simply says "Can't find any suitable files to add to the index for the specified folder" if I drill down to individual clipart folders I can import the images - but without thumbnails. I do know that the very early version of Xara: CORELXRA.EXE (aka CorelXara) which is included on this disc does include the thumbnails when installed.

I am wary of deleting the Xarainfo file in case I cannot restore it.

Kind regards

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	designs_gallery.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	83884  

Can you attach one of those old Corel Xara .xar files?
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Many apologises for the delay, but I have been out of the country for a while and only just got back into work again.

I am attachiing a random clipart .xar file form the original CorelXara disc.

Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Martin,

The CorelXara file does not contain an embedded gif thumbnail image like Xara X and newer versions produce. I imagine that associated thumbnail images were used for the CorelXara gallery's. Some of the newer versions also use external thumbnails.

Have you looked for a folder of thumbnail images for the CorelXara version?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Many thanks Soquili,

I have looked into the CD structure and there is only a Xaraxlip.txt file that lists the file names (undie XARAINFO).

There are photographs on the disc and these all are matched by a .bmp file thumbnail in the XARAINFO file.

Kind regards and thank you

Martin