Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: So Long! It's Been Fun!

Sorry, but I am not a real computer geek, but just work very hard at trying to got around computers as I love graphics. Could you explain this link a bit???

Thanks
    - bri

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=xaralx

be aware it is [roughly] the equivalent of version 2
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, you are correct, the issues are with Windows and MSN marketing techniques. Ones you get to SP 3 you have to start paying, again, for a system you've already bought, etc., etc., etc.

I know of sandboxie or sandboxy or something like that, and could surely find it, but have not considered it yet, as I am still tweaking Ubuntu. I am not quick with these things and must take the time it takes. This is why it is nice to have feedback here, as it makes it easier to go to the sources that will help me the most, through information, from people that know about these things, as I do not...

- bri

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    here's another solution - a second computer - keep it off the web - whatever issues you have with the windows operating system [or indeed MSN itself if you meant that literally] I don't see it preventing you from running windows programs on a 'sandboxed' machine... but who knows, you don't say what the issues are....

Thanks so much for this...

- bri

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    the issues are with Windows and MSN marketing techniques. Ones you get to SP 3 you have to start paying, again, for a system you've already bought, etc., etc., etc.
    I have no idea what you mean. I have never paid for a windows OS upgrade within the same release.

I will repeat, I am not very good with the terminologies and ins and outs of computin. I was using Windows XP PRO and liked it, but am very disillusioned with Microsoft's greed. There may be other issues too. I can't remember all there is about it, I have been spending all of my energy and personal memory settig up Ubutu, and don't really want to get into my dealings with the Windows system, created and marketed by Microsoft (I guess MSN does not stand for Microsoft)

- bri

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Well, as someone who's a happy windows user, I don't understand why a bad experience with MSN (haven't hear anyone talk about MSN for some time) would mean ditching the OS too. M$ produced some very poor operating systems at one time, but windows 7 has been a very smooth experience and has MSN been a problem? No. I don't use it.

So, move to linux, by all means, but a ton of workarounds to keep using windows software, because of MSN seems rather pointless. Of course, Brian may simply prefer Linux over windows, and that's a reasonable position, but MSN as a reason to move to Linux? The reasoning baffles me.

;-) Too late for that, I've ditched it. I would like to give one small example as to why I dislike Microsoft. I was having trouble burning with my drive. Went to driver updates and was told there were no new drives for this driver. Went out and bought another drive. In the mean time I found a program that helped me find driver updates. Found one for my old drive - it was an unauthorized driver - and it worked like a charm. I am still using it with Ubuntu. Now that pissed me off.

- bri

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
    MSN to ditch an OS? Oohkayyy.

Dual boot. Virtual machine. There are options.

Your 19 previous posts will remain here in the TalkGraphics archive for future generations to enjoy though, so do not fear! You will not be forgotten!

Thanks Steve, I'll let you know how it works out. - bri

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=xaralx

be aware it is [roughly] the equivalent of version 2

I was told that I had to... ??? I did not argue I left. - bri

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I have no idea what you mean. I have never paid for a windows OS upgrade within the same release.

Hi Brian, MSN was the Microsoft Network - something differrent to the OS itself. I used XP Pro a lot and was very happy with it. I never upgraded to vista and bought Windows 7 when I got fed up of issues with software compatibility. Windows 7 had rave comments, I loaded up the beta software for free for almost a year and it's performed very well - much better than XP Pro (or Vista).

I can't say that Windows has been a particularly expensive purchase compared to other software and it's often cost effective to buy a new computer than buy a new copy of Windows.

I'm no fan of M$ but their operating systems are getting better and adopting Linux is a bit like abandoning the open sea for a backwater. I'm not anti linux, but it is limiting in terms of software choices and it seems to be as full of compatibility issues as Microsoft software used to be.

Good luck with your choice, but I don't understand it at all.