Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Clean up old photos

Hi all,
    I was wondering if someone new of a way to further clean up or enhance the attached image.
    It is my Grandparents wedding photo which my Father asked if I could clean up.

I have mainly used the magic erase tool to remove spots. I have tried some live effects but lose some definition especially in the faces. It is the first time I have tried something like this, any advice would be much appreciated.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old pic.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	84277

Default Re: Clean up old photos

Hi James.

Maybe Xara is not the best tool for this but you'd be surprised what some of the Xperts can do with Xara.
    It has photo tools and you might want to try them.

I just used your photo and decreased the brightness (-16), increased the contrast (7), increased the temperature (6). Just to show that you can make a difference.

This is the result I got and if you play about, you can see what looks good to you!

But, don't worry.
    The Xperts will soon be here and give you some real tips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	84280  
    Last edited by Rik; 25 September 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Well I am certainly no expert, but I have done some photo clean up work with Xara.

I took your after shot and like Rik made some adjustments to the contrast and brightness. But I went a little further and made some adjustments with the Brightness and Levels dialogue by dragging the droppers at the bottom over the black white and grey areas in the photo, then I cloned the photo and applied a linear stained glass transparency to the clone. I clicked the transparency handle to add an extra stop I set this stop to 100% transparency and the two end stops at 0% transparency. I drug the transparency handle so the 100% transparency went through both faces. the final step was to adjust the sharpness/blur all the way to the left to blur the clone giving the photo the softness where you want it and leaving the faces sharp and clear.

Name:	photo clean up example.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	84285
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I added an extra layer with an elliptical darken transparency to smooth out the faded area at the bottom of the man's slacks

I've attached my .xar file so you can pull it apart and learn from it.

Name:	photo clean up example2.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	84287
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Jamesd, I like your cleanup. One thing about old photos is that they have atmosphere and sometimes trying too hard to clean them up takes that away. I prefer your originals to any of the attempts at enhancement. Your mum looks happy and your dad very serious. I love the staging behind them. I would enjoy the image as per your minor amendments, or just the original.

Paul

Thanks everyone for your advice
    I agree with you Paul I did not want to take away from the original too much.
    This is what I came up with using similar to Angelize, I copied the original then applied gaussian blur (smart) with a radius of 12 to the copy, then applied a fractal plasma stained glass transparency to the copy dragging the handle way out and rotating it until it looked right and overlaid it on the cleaned up photo. I also darkened the area of the trousers.

I think I am happy with the outcome of this one

Name:	old pic2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	84303

I like your cleaned image James, I'm glad I was able to help I did a whole batch of old family photos once and one of them even dated back to the 1800s (as far as we could tell) It was in bad condition and needed very careful handling it was quite a challenge to clean and restore it without losing the ambiance of the old photo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow 1800s, this photo is not so old 1935. I would never have thought of overlaying a transparent copy with effects applied, to give a more subtle change rather than applying an effect directly to the image. Thank you for sharing your technique

You are very welcome, I'm glad I was able to help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]