Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gare's non-Xara Art

Larry, the famous designer who was also an architect might have been Frank Lloyd Wright? He came after the Arts and Crafts movement, both in Europe and America, and was a downright jerk, albeit a brilliant jerk, about feeding his own ego versus what he was commissioned to do. The Guggenheim Museum on 5th Avenue in NYC is an example of his work. Beautiful architecture, and a homage to his own work, not the pieces inside the museum! One of the complaints from patrons is that the spiraling hallway is so narrow, you can't step back to appreciate some of the larger paintings.

Anyone else would have been fired, sued, and killed, perhaps in that order. But Frank Lloyd Wright is an American Icon, so you don't punish self-centered genius.

Or perhaps it was a different artist you're thinking of!

The bottom line is that for comfort, you can't beat the designer who invented a beanbag chair.

My 2¢ on a dreary NY Sunday,

Gary

P.S. Frank? Nice animation! And I've always thought that Putin looks like Smeagel in Lord of the Rings.

It was simply my homage to the misspelling of Mackintosh
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I think it's terrific, Frank, that we have such an intricate English language that there are at least three different and correct spellings of this three-syllable word: Macintosh, usually followed by a registered trademark symbol, McIntosh, which is the apple, not the Apple, and the Mackintosh, which is a raincoat invented by Charles Macintosh, who I guess misspelled his own name. Fortunately, he sold his weather gear in 1824 so Apple didn't have a chance to sue him.

Not to be confused with (or deliberately to be confused with) McIntosh audio equipment, which I believe is out of business now, but made excellent power amps back in the 1970s, and who tried to press a suit against Apple Computers when they began to get into audio.

Guess who won?

I put up a vector version of a burger and shake in the Clipart area of tg, and by design (pardon the pun) it's supposed to look like an artist's airbrush conception of fast food. Here's a twist with the rendered models I sculpted here: if you're bothering to imitate photography, you've already made the point if certain areas come close. I didn't see the point in spending hours just to deceive the viewer's eye, so I took the rightful opportunity to do something surreal, blending it into an otherwise photoreal composition.

And if you've ever tried the real thing, you know this picture is surreal, because fast food fries are anything but "light"...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SlapHappy Meal.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	86536

My Best,
    Gary

Surreal also because I have never seen a Big Mac that looks so good and well assembled.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If you're not familiar with his work, look up Claes Oldenburg in the Wikipedia.

Because my Big Mac, an actual Big Mac, and one of Claes' sculptures all taste the same.

—Gary

Your work and Claes' have visual appeal.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Coffee to go with the burger.

Or not.

I'm kidding. Actually, I did this as an exercise to try to mimic Manhattan's ultra-hip, super-expensive boutique dining places. Two traits: the use of white or light colors, oddly, considering there is no white in NYC, just off-white, and the use of Helvetica and messing with upper and lower case.

Name:	artcafe.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	86563

My Best,

Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Now that's a great image. I like the french curve as steam
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I created a very simple example to demonstrate what different lenses look like and where a vanishing point might be in a scene.

So once again, this ain't Art...it's education. :)

Name:	Kid's-building-block-55mm.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	88417

My Best,
    —Gary