Thanks! Then it's good for something!

-g

Here's a 3D cartoon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fontaholic.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	109077
    Last edited by Gare; 22 July 2015 at 09:24 PM.

Default A light cycle (spin, rinse, cold water, no bleach)

Paul Saumure inspired me to try to revive a model I'd created about ten years ago...and left the scene unfinished. I'm not as happy with this as I am with Paul's 100% Xara rendition, but cut me a break—he's a better artist than I am, plus I did use Xara to draw the light trails behind the cycles.

Name:	1962-lightcycles.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	109231

Thanks to Sy Mead for his wonderful, original designs back in 1982, when my hair was brown and my waist was a 34.

-g

Default Re: A light cycle (spin, rinse, cold water, no bleach)

Great job Gary. I guess it takes a little lighter hair and wider wast to get these thing done. I was going to less hair, but I didn't want to push it. What program did you render this in? I know that you use several. It's interesting to see the reflections that it produces. I appreciate your comments about my talents, but I would not say i'm a better artist. I have seen to much of your work and would have to take my hat off to you Sir. I enjoyed perusing through your images and there is a plethora of them to go through.

Paul

Default Re: A light cycle (spin, rinse, cold water, no bleach)

Flattery will get you everywhere, Paul.

Name:  smsmirk.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  4.1 KB

I used Cinema 4D to render the picture. I usually use modo, but C4D does a more "dreamy", fantasy render, not hard photoreality. I remember in 83 what the limits of modeling were, and wanted a similar look that's primitive by today's standards.

I just wanted to hide a lot of detail by using dim lighting, and try to imitate the cycles in motion as I remember them in the theater.

You, on the the hand, drew the cycles as cutting edge contemporary, as though Apple makes the cycles!

My Best,

Gary

Default Back to 1995

I did this, really wanted to animate it, but my machine and software weren't up to the task ten years ago.

Will a still do to make you laugh?

Name:	Burger.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	109248

Except for the phot of the burger, I designed everything in trueSpace. Woah, what a chore!

Default Re: Back to 1995

I like it
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Toaster

I don't know what to say here. Barbara and I like toast, and I'm doing a lot of models of my favorite foods because I'm on a diet...

Name:	burnt-toast.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	109340

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Toaster

Very realistic toast, Gare. I like the grunge effects, too. This reminds me of Derek's (Masque) work.
    Good luck with the diet.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I like that a lot Gare. The grungy looking toaster especially. The texture on the toast is terrific too.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hmmmm, both Bob and Larry like the rust on the toaster.

Does that mean in any way that visual detail (visual complexity) can take credit for the render's success? Truth be known, the geometry in this scene is quite simple, not a lot of polygons.

As with vector drawing, rendering models has two aspects: the geometry and the texture. In vector drawing, it's outline and fill. And most of the time in the real world, the fill is more visually important than the outline (the geometry).

My Best,

Gary