Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I did something wrong and need help filling in a shape

First, I want to thank Shapeshifter for pointing out that I can create the exact Raven image I want from a photograph he found.

This is my first attempt to trace a photograph. I didn't do too badly , and the final image can be finessed by tweaking. However, no matter how I try to fill in the silhouette, no matter what commands I attempt (such as convert to shape), all that happens when I attempt to set fill color as black is that the line changes color. It's as if the line itself is the shape, if that makes sense.

By the way, I originally traced it with a series of lines and then joined them, as I couldn't do this with one continuous line.

I tried converting to shape and then combining and intersecting, subtracting, you name it, using a black shape behind the lines, hoping to get a black Raven image. But to no avail. What do I need to do to fix this? I'm thinking if I retrace it again, I'll likely make the same mistake(s). I searched for a solution in this forum, but "fill" gets a ton of results.

Attached is a png with magenta for the outline, showing where I traced the photo image. Also attached is the .xar file.

Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raven-in-progress.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	84136  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: I did something wrong and need help filling in a shape

Simple enough to trace with one line ... honest ... then the shape will fill :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

neodeist, easy for you to say Seriously, I tried, but it curves around and all that stuff. You can see where the lines kind of looped over while I was trying to trace the talons. No solution to this problem? Maybe I can trace it in quarter segments and then join them. I thought about getting a graphics tablet but that's kind of overkill for a one-time deal.

I make sure I have cusp-join selected initially then there is easy control over the 'arms' Go round the object and you can always go back to tweak it if needs be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuspjoin.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	84141

The graphics tablet will not make control of the line easier in my experience
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

That is a great little tutorial. I was attempting to draw a more-or-less continuous line. I'll try again, using the technique shown in your video. Thanks!

Hi Advocate,
    If you select your line drawing then from menu Arrange - break shapes you will find that you have 4 lines to join.
    Well i have joined them, but i would like to try yourself to join the lines in your original .xar file.
    I drewn elipses where you can find the star and end of lines. but at first select the line drawing, then break shapes and you can give the lines different colours to make easy to you to join.
    Attached is your .xar file modified.
    BP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raven.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	84144  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

That's beautiful! It's late here, so I'll do what you suggested tomorrow or over the weekend, as well as studying neodeist's tutorial. I bought Xara in March (my first vector program), but have always avoided learning about drawing lines with nodes and break points and joining and all that. But now it's beginning to sink in how it works. Practice, practice, practice.

Thank you very much, not only for showing so explicitly how to work with this illustration, but also for rendering it to the utmost detail. It's perfect.