Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default web directory structure

I'm updating a web site I did in Dreamweaver. The dir structure was a folder for each sub section i.e. home page at top level, product 1 was in product1/index.htm sub folder product 2 in product2/index.htm which is nice way to be as the user just types www.xyx.com/product1 to go direct to a page.

What I'm finding is I need a seperate xara file for each product!

I can link between products by putting in a relative link on product1 page in the form ../product2/index.htm but common images and nav bars then have to be replicated as I can't make the induvidual page mnames include sub dirs i.e. problem would be solved if I could add product1/index.htm on the "page name" props.

Is there a way to get around this?

Turan

Default Re: web directory structure

Hi Turan

You can do the same thing. Create as many sub-folders as you want and name them as you have suggested above.

Then break your site into smaller sites and publish each site to its own folder.

Have the main site in the root directory and link to the other sites using the actual URL. If you publish each module with an index.html file, then your visitor just needs to key in your URL/folder as per your example.

Default Re: web directory structure

Hi Gary,

This is ehat I've done to move forward - each sub folder is a seperate .xar file which I export to it's own folder.

But the problem is, if I want to add a new page (and thus a new link in the navbar), then I have to edit each .xar file and update each navbar.

I just wanted to check if there was a way of keeping everything in one .xar file, as the 'repeat on each page' function is nice, but lost if I want to keep my directories.

It's nice to be able to type www.website.com/contactus but while it simplifies for people typing it - I don't think people ever type anything other than either the home page link or a link on a search engine to a sub dir.

So I'd love to remove the dir structure now, but this is an existing site that is well referenced by many search sites and I don't want to loose that now.

Turan