Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey guys, check out THIS tutorial.

It is done in 3DS Max 4, but the knowledge that can be gained from it could be applied to different 3D modeling programs as well.

This is my FIRST attempt at doing a character, other than a praying mantis I did for a project in a college class. I've learned a BUNCH so far, and I'm not very far into the tutorial yet. It also covers much more detailed modeling, texture mapping and creation, skinning and boning for animation, etc, literally a whole book's worth of instruction. A little reading between the lines is helpful, and it's not for the absolute beginner, but I have never seen a more in-depth piece of instructional material, and for free, at that!

Danny Huff

Hey guys, check out THIS tutorial.

It is done in 3DS Max 4, but the knowledge that can be gained from it could be applied to different 3D modeling programs as well.

This is my FIRST attempt at doing a character, other than a praying mantis I did for a project in a college class. I've learned a BUNCH so far, and I'm not very far into the tutorial yet. It also covers much more detailed modeling, texture mapping and creation, skinning and boning for animation, etc, literally a whole book's worth of instruction. A little reading between the lines is helpful, and it's not for the absolute beginner, but I have never seen a more in-depth piece of instructional material, and for free, at that!

Danny Huff

Right on... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] thanks for the link Danny... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Your model looks very nice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Go Danny......good work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Yeah, I find that tutorial (which is infamous, by the way) translates very well to almost any software. In Lightwave, we have to stick to quads and tri's in SubPatch modelling, so some of the techniques have to be modified, but I did that model and it came out pretty nice. I've always had problems with organic modelling, but that tut just lays it out plain enough to follow a relatively simple mesh, almost anyone can do it. Your result looks great!

Brett

Just a little update on my progress through this tutorial... Learning TONS!

Danny Huff

Glad you're learning, Danny.

The figure looks swell. Can't wait to see shading and lighting!

My Best,
    Gare

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.