Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many layers can be made?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a project that will have a lot of layers and I was suddenly stricken with fear

Does Xara have a limit on how many layers a page can have?

At first I would assume the only limit is your disk space..but not sure.

Thanks!

Default Re: How many layers can be made?

I have a functioning page which has 277 layers at the present time. These are in addition to the default layers.
    All seems to work fine.

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know

How does that work in a website? I mean what I do is make an iframe and make "pages" I have done 2-3 layers in a page. I would like to see a preview of a site that has many layers to have an idea how it works. I'm still a newbie with xara =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Womag View Post
    I have a functioning page which has 277 layers at the present time. These are in addition to the default layers.
    All seems to work fine.

This is a link to the page with 277 layers -

http://womag1.com/scoreboard/scoreboard.htm

most of the layers (250) are used to display a graphic of one end of a properly loaded barbell for weightlifting meet competitions, where the weight of the barbell is designated in kilograms, to help prevent misloads of the bar. Click on the desired weight designation box located in the center of the gray area at the bottom portion of the screen, click on the red "X" located at the top right of the weight designation area to remove the graphic from the screen. Other graphics work in the same manner.
    Xara is being used as a graphical front end to score a weightlifting competition with multiple monitors and online access to the scoring using a Google spreadsheet as the scoreboard. Scorekeeping has traditionally been done offline with spreadsheet programs such as Excel, this is an attempt to move the scoring to the Cloud with a graphical front end for the competitors and spectators alike, using Xara Designer Pro 7 for the graphics.
    Iframes are used to display spreadsheet data within the Xara graphical interface.
    Hope this is enough explanation to explain the purpose of the website without getting into too much detail. This is still a work-in-progress and is not a finished product at this time.
    I think Xara has the potential to be of use as a graphical front end for other non-traditional applications.

I hate to rain on your parade, Womag.

736 page elements.
    Total document size of...too high for me to add. But Firebug says it is 17.37 megabytes.
    26 errors, mostly CSS definition types, but there are ones generated by the Google stuff.

As this isn't a finished site, I would seriously rethink the site architecture and reduce the site size. I cannot think of what the site would load like on a slower connection than mine.

Take care, Mike

Womag,

Site loaded relatively quickly for me...

When you click on attempt, each new click overwrites the previous without erasing it. (I noticed the Kilos and Pounds does the same) I assume that is an error. [Using Google Chrome]

Looks like this idea would translate pretty well for Bowling League scores online...

Peace

James

I have a fairly standard internet connection of 3M to 6M per sec. and I have experienced no problems with load speed. (normally 3 to 5 seconds) for the initial page load. When you consider the scoreboard will remain active for the next 1 to 2 hrs. to monitor and control the competition, I don't think a 3 to 5 second initial load is a significant problem.

About the overwrite issue, when you click on attempt, a red "X" appears to the right of the attempt selection. to remove the current attempt, click on the red "X". The same applies to removing the current Kilos/Pounds by clicking on the red "X" which appears to the top right of the Kilos selection area. The red "X" is used to remove any visual object previously selected before selecting a new Kilo/Pound selection, Attempt selection, etc.

I see that that works, but it's counter-intuitive and doesn't seem the best solution. When choosing one of the "weight values", why not have the field cleared then, or use a rectangular border around the numbering so that anything remaining would be under it? (ie. invisible)

Take care and good luck with the web page...great idea!

James

James,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.
    You are right about being counter-intuitive and not the best solution, your suggestions to remedy the situation would mask the problem but may cause some new problems later on as the "weight values" fields and the bar loading graphic are displayed initially by "locking" a popup layer, if I overlay these 3 fields on each new weight selection, the "old" locked popup layers are still there and still open and could possibly cause some type of stack overflow or memory problem at some point. If I could close the locked layer by clicking on a new weight value alone, that would be ideal, but I can only initiate 1 "link" operation per click, hence the red "X" work around to close the open locked layer. Maybe a simple javascript routine could fix the situation but I have no programming knowledge of javascript.