Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

and I've never been so happy to be able to say that to you !!

This morning my computer crashed like I hope your's never will. Bluescreens all around, nothing helped.
    I tried to 'repair' my Win2000 using the bootable CD but I earned even more bluescreens.

By the way, it all started after installing Win2000/SP3 so don't forget your backups before installing it !!
    Good thing I had all my work saved like every day.

It ended with buying a new harddrive and re-installing Win2K from scratch. It runs now (and faster than ever) but most of my programs don't work any more because the registry is lost and most other settings as well.

I managed to get Xara-X and Xara 3D5 running again, but all my settings are gone too.

Does anyone know how to get my settings back ??
    I also managed to get access to my old drive C so I can copy from there whatever is needed ...
    I believe I do not have access to my old registry. It is principally there (on the old drive), but RegEdit shows only the new registry of course.

Thanks for your help !!

http://www.yump.com/images/wolfgang_run.gif

Hi,

and I've never been so happy to be able to say that to you !!

This morning my computer crashed like I hope your's never will. Bluescreens all around, nothing helped.
    I tried to 'repair' my Win2000 using the bootable CD but I earned even more bluescreens.

By the way, it all started after installing Win2000/SP3 so don't forget your backups before installing it !!
    Good thing I had all my work saved like every day.

It ended with buying a new harddrive and re-installing Win2K from scratch. It runs now (and faster than ever) but most of my programs don't work any more because the registry is lost and most other settings as well.

I managed to get Xara-X and Xara 3D5 running again, but all my settings are gone too.

Does anyone know how to get my settings back ??
    I also managed to get access to my old drive C so I can copy from there whatever is needed ...
    I believe I do not have access to my old registry. It is principally there (on the old drive), but RegEdit shows only the new registry of course.

Thanks for your help !!

That a terrible thing to have happen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I know for sure Xara's settings are stored in the
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareXara branch on W95/98. There's no settings file at all.

I can't remember if it's possible to export a .reg branch (the Xara one) from the command line version of regedit but if you could do that from the old hard drive, you would then be able to import the .reg file containing Xara's settings.

Can you boot to a command prompt in your bad copy of W2K? Oops - I forgot W2K...I don't know what registry permissions could get in the way of doing a command line registry export - never tried it in NT/W2K/XP!

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

WELL, isn't there a way to copy and paste from the old registry to the new one??? Why don't you try that with like ONE of the programs and see if it works. I think somewhere, out there on the web, I read that you could do that.

You are still running Win2000?? So registry entries for programs should transfer and meld right in to the new set up just fine. I would think!!!

Good luck, buddy!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Well,

the thing is: My old drive is working principally, but I can't boot from it. So there is no way to start from there, export the registry branch and then import it into the new registry.

By means of files or diskspace I can access the old registry but not in an 'official' way like with regedit.

Guess I will have to do it all over again ...

One more thing: Since hours I do nothing but restore installed programs. One never knows how much programs he has installed until he has to set up a new drive !!
    And I have not even started with the big ones like MS Office. And I am sure it will want me to do the stupid registration thing again ...
    It's incredible and I am happy to have Norton AV and Zonealarm running so I can now start updating what I had to re-install.
    It's pure horror !!!

And when do things like that happen ??
    When my biggest client demands some changes made until monday latest !!
    Guess there will be not much sleep tonight ...

When you get everything working right again and get your settings the way you want them, get a Registry backup utility, and back up your registry to a separate partition or hard drive.
    There are a number of freeware utilities or very inexpensive ones available.

InstallWatch Pro is a good program for copying and saving registry settings, and it monitors every change made to the registry, ini files, etc. when you install a new program. Very handy for getting rid of all the bits and pieces of programs when you uninstall them. It also allows returning to previous settings if a new program causes problems.

Stan's Xara Registry Utility also allows you to send your registry settings to the clipboard, and then you can paste them into Notepad and save your settings in separate file. I think this utility is still available at the XaraXone.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll