Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Gray scale .pdf output question

Is it possible to convert a colored rgb photo into a true 8 bit gray scale image in Designer Pro 7 for output to professional black & white printing? (.pdf files are required)

I created a file I though would be gray scale in Designer Pro 7 and it turned out to be a desaturated rgb image instead. When it was reproduced, the black type on the page was no longer 100% black, but a lighter shade of gray instead. My supplier insists on files that are completely ready to print and will not attempt to make minor corrections such as this.

I do not have programs such as Illustrator, Photoshop, or even Acrobat. (Most of them would not run on my old computer even if I did have them.)

Thank you for your response.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Gray scale .pdf output question

Unfortunately Xara does not have true convert to grayscale capabilities however a workaround would be to use Inkscape (a free open source program) and import your photo into that use the convert to grayscale feature there, then save as a pdf and bring that pdf into Xara.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you.

I'll give it a try. I thought Inkscape was basically an rgb program and was unaware it convert to gray scale.

I have the latest stable inkscape version [0.48.1] and what it has is 'desaturate' - I cannot see a 'convert to greyscale' feature so named - this being the case I am fairly sure you will end up with desaturated RGB - which is not true greyscale as you say

Trouble is, Xara is also basically an RGB program

However there are greyscale and CMYK options in designer pro - but getting true 100% black is a bit of a 'black' [sorry] art... if you search there are some threads on this around - you need the advice of someone who does this regularly from xara I think
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

my response may have been a bit confusing sorry inkscape has a greyscale conversion feature under effects. My thoughts were to use this on the image as it will convert to shades of grey rather than desaturate then bring the image back into Xara by saving it as a pdf in inkscape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inkscapegrayscale.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	83585
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

How to get b&w pics in a few clicks in Xara.

1- Open a color photo

2- Select the Fill Tool

3- Select the white color from the palette.

The image becomes b&w.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xaraa3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	83591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xaraa2.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	83592  

Last edited by Ricardo Almeida; 16 August 2011 at 10:13 AM.

Hi Frances - we have different versions of inkscape - I have found 'greyscale' in mine, the menus are different, I was looking under 'filters' rather than 'extensions' as I should have been [there is no 'effects' menu in ver 0.48.1 it has been changed] -thanks for that, be interested to see if it works
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Try;
    Right-click>Contone>Make black and white

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bw.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	83598

Most of the above methods, unless I am missing something, output RGB or CMYK (if using PDFX-1a) PDFs.

Two ways I do this. Either I convert an image in an editor (I use PhotoLine) to cmyK, or I use Acrobat at the end to convert the document as a whole.

I prefer the image editor option but sometimes for expediency's sake, I do it en masse to the PDF.

Take care, Mike

For conversion to B&W I prefer to use OptikVerve Labs' plugin "Virtual Photographer" that can be used in Designer Pro under the Live Effect Tool. It has many presets but you can also manually adjust the settings and create your own presets. The plugin can be downloaded free here: http://www.optikvervelabs.com/default.asp