Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: No images showing when site published

pauland,

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to be getting the blame for all my web worries, when all I did was what the guy at the other end of the phone told me to do!

Using my very limited intelligence, I set up the redirect as it was the only thing I worked out myself how to do to make my site show up.

I appreciate I have probably made a complete fist of it, but my host hasn't been very helpful and I have turned to you guys for some help.

If you look at the images I have posted earlier can you tell me where I should be putting my website?

I presumed I needed to put it in the cardtrix.co.uk subfolder so it didn't clash with the files I have in my main site.

Is this correct or can I have two files called index.html and two folders called index_htm_files in the same directory?

Yours confusedly

Dahzee

Quote Originally Posted by Dahzee View Post
    pauland,

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to be getting the blame for all my web worries, when all I did was what the guy at the other end of the phone told me to do!
    There's no blame, just explanation/supposition. If you're not into this web stuff it's a bit tricky. we understand that.

I set up the redirect as it was the only thing I worked out myself how to do to make my site show up.

I appreciate I have probably made a complete fist of it, but my host hasn't been very helpful and I have turned to you guys for some help.

If you look at the images I have posted earlier can you tell me where I should be putting my website?

I presumed I needed to put it in the cardtrix.co.uk subfolder so it didn't clash with the files I have in my main site.
    Yes, you need a subfolder.

Say the subfolder is called cardtrix. Then you set up the redirect to http://www.cardboardengineering.co.uk/cardtrix. Depending on how your host sets up the redirect, you shouldn't really see http://www.cardboardengineering.co.uk/cardtrix in the url, just cardtrix.co.uk. This depends on how your host handles the redirection.

It's not the end of the world having it work as it is, but it looks odd.

can I have two files called index.html and two folders called index_htm_files in the same directory?
    No!

Yours confusedly

Dahzee

A sub-domain would be accessed normally like this: http://cardtrix.cardboardengineering.co.uk/

Your publishing folder would commonly be: /public_html/cardtrix
    The publishing domain: cardboardengineering.co.uk

It seems to me to be sorted already, because the above sub-domain URL resolves fine and shows your site with all images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-15_213441.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	83565  

I don't think the OP is wanting to redirect a sub domain - he's trying to redirect a bottom level domain to a folder in his webspace. He could also redirect to a subdomain.

Dahzee - And you thought designing the site was the hard part.

I think the site looks great and you have obviously put a lot of work into it.

Shapeshifter, pauland and Gary,

Thanks for all your help on this guys, I am trying to get to grips with this! As you can see from my site (I design boxes etc.) I am neither an IT man or Web Designer!

All I really need to work out is where I need to save my files so I can take this redirect off and just type in www.cardtrix.co.uk.

Without the main domain showing up in the address bar.

I appreciate every host is different, so I will experiment a bit and see if I can crack it!

Thank you to everybody who is trying to help me and thank you Gary for the kind words about my site.

Many Thanks

Dahzee

Dahzee, I see you have cPanel as your hosting control panel.

Not sure who, but, someone probably added an addon domain to your hosting account. When an addon domain is added, it creates a directory in the public_html directory used for the domain's webroot directory. By default, the name of the directory created is the domain name you are added, so that is why you have a directory /public_html/cardtrix.co.uk

http://www.cardtrix.co.uk/index.htm

is working for me along with the other nav items, it seems to be showing all the images.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Chris,

Thanks for the reply, this is getting really weird now!

If you type in as you did http://www.cardtrix.co.uk/index.htm then everything is fine, but if you type in just http://www.cardtrix.co.uk without the index.html it takes on the redirect of cardboardengineering etc.

I have now removed the redirect and if you clear your cache and type http://www.cardtrix.co.uk/index.htm again it won't work!

It will only work if preceded by my main domain cardboardengineering.co.uk

To say I am confused is an understatement!

I cannot for the life of me work out why it is finding all the html pages of my site, but none of the images when they are all published to the cardtrix.co.uk directory, albeit in a sub directory of cardtrix.co.uk.

Any new suggestions gratefully accepted.

Many Thanks

Dahzee

Not sure, but I'm thinking that maybe an .htaccess file is causing a problem. I didn't see one in the cardtrix.co.uk directory, but, there may be one in the public_html directory that is causing a problem.

An easy way to check is simply rename it. You can rename it to something like htaccess (removing the preceding period) or .htaccess.bak. Once you do that, check it and if it works, you know it was something in the .htaccess file causing the problem. If not, you can simply rename it back to .htaccess and nothing is lost or changed.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Chris,

You are a genius!!!!!

I found it as you guessed in the public_html folder and renamed the .htaccess file to .htaccess.bak and everything just works!

I checked my main site and that is working too!

Seeing as I haven't got a clue what this file does I have attached it for your reference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	htaccess file.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	83586

Can I leave it as it is or do I need to change it somehow?

Thanks ever so much I am really grateful.

Many Thanks

Dahzee