Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No images showing when site published

I can't remember if this has been discussed before, but I have created my site and published it and none of the images or graphics are showing.

All the text is there and the navigation works, but none of my images on any of my pages are showing.

If I double click a page in explorer after I have exported it, everything shows up OK in my browser.

But when I publish it the images have disappeared.

I am publishing everything to a subfolder of public_html of my domain as I already have another site in my public_html folder.

I am guessing that the html files are what I am seeing minus the images or graphics because they don't know where to look for the images.

If you want to see what I am seeing in my browser go to www.cardtrix.co.uk

Many Thanks in advance

Dahzee
    I am using XDP6

Default Re: No images showing when site published

Hiya,

What are you using to upload the files: Xara's own publishing, or a separate FTP program.

Something I always try first is deleting the "problem" files from the server completely, and then having a fresh go. This of course is only one of many things to try.

I know this might sound silly, but you haven't inadvertently got permissions set on the directory that contains all the images etc.? (index_htm_files)

Sorry if I am asking you things that you tried within the first five minutes.

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Dahzee View Post
    I can't remember if this has been discussed before, but I have created my site and published it and none of the images or graphics are showing.
    That's because none of your images have been published - this is all there is:

http://www.cardtrix.co.uk/index_htm_files/

Index of /index_htm_files

Parent Directory
    • highslide-ie6.css
    • highslide.css
    • highslide.js
    • png.js
    • roe.js
    • xr_files.txt
    • xr_main.css
    • xr_text.css

Have another shot at publishing?

Thanks for the replies,

Here are the attached images of the directories I have published to.

I am using filezilla to publish my site and have transferred everything that was created when I exported.

The contents of cardtrix folder shows the html files and the contents of index_htm_files shows all my images.

Can I deduce that everything is uploaded but perhaps not in the right place?

Thanks

Dahzee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folder Location.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	83470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index_htm_files folder.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	83471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cardtrix Folder.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	83472

You have a folder named cardtrix.co.uk in the /public_html/ folder. Why?

Shapeshifter,

I don't know, it was there after I purchased the domain!

When I purchased the domain, I was told that they already host one domain for me and that it would be added as a sub domain (I think that is what they said).

Sorry, I can't tell you any more than that!

Regards,

Dahzee

A bit of an update, if this helps someone diagnose my problem.

If I type in my main domain then a forward slash and my new domain name, everything works fine.

i.e. www.cardtrix.co.uk, only the text shows, no images.

www.cardboardengineering.co.uk/cardtrix.co.uk, everything works perfectly.

Does this help anyone to work out what is going on?

Regards,

Dahzee

It looks like cardtrix.co.uk is a subdomain of cardboardengineering.co.uk, not a standalone domain

Actionit,

Thanks for the reply I have contacted my hosts to clarify the situation, but in the meantime I have put a redirect from cardtrix.co.uk to http://www.cardboardengineering.co.uk/cardtrix.co.uk and this allows someone to type in just cardtrix.co.uk and the site will come up correctly.

I may have to move the domain from sub or addon to a standalone domain so I don't have to show my main domain in my browser window as part of my URL.

Many Thanks

Dahzee

I think you've got totally confused about domains and subdomains.

I think what you really want to happen is that when the cardtrix.co.uk domain is accessed, it's content is taken from a subdomain of an existing domain (since the subdomain is part of your webspace). When this is done correctly, then no reference to the subdomain is visible (to the casual user). I have a client who does this here:

www.avpureandsimple.co.uk .

If you look at the source you will see that it refers to a subdomain: http://avpureandsimple.prsoftmedia.co.uk of my web space.

It's not necessary to repeat the original domain in the text of the subdomain (it's actually just a sub-directory of the web space, nothing more), just use a meaningful name.

I think you've set up your subdomain and redirection badly. The actual mechanism probably varies from host to host.