Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Access Violation Exception at 0x0067414C

Can anyone tell me what the error message "Access Violation Exception at 0x0076414C" means?

WD6 had started throwing up this message after I drew a rectangle on a page of a site I'd been working on for a few weeks. Now it throws up the message whenever I try doing anything (drawing a shape, clicking for the text tool, deleting a layer) on either the file I was working on or a new blank file. WD6 loads and will also load that particular file or open a new document - which can be viewed and clicked on, but when a tool is selected and the page clicked or when a layer is selected the error message shows, an error report is sent and WD6 closes.

The problem has been passed to Xara & now Magix nearly a week ago, but does anyone have suggestions on what this could be related to?

Magix gave me a system check to run, but the results didnt seem to show anything that would be responsible. Then suggested I install the latest update & patch, but when trying this I receive a message telling me that I already have the latest version & there's no further updates. I've insterted the WD6 CD and clicked repair, but that didn't make a difference. So I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the programme, but that hasn't made a difference either. Lastly I've changed the location of the backups folder - but that's not made a difference either, though it needed doing anyway to direct to the partition with more space on. I received back a fixed file from Magix and from what I gather, the error can no longer be reproduced at their end - so it looks like it's something on my system, but Im out of ideas on what else to try.

Im falling behind now on getting the project finished, so Im happy to try out any further suggestions people may have. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Access Violation Exception at 0x0067414C

Ack! Sounds perfectly unacceptable.

Is the problem just with this one file or does it happen even if you create a new blank page?

It happens on a new blank page too

Im now receiving another error message also (attachment) Access Violation Exception at 0x00670CB5.

I can't do anything with WD6 on this computer. I can open a file or a blank page, view it, click it, but when I "do" anything to it - delete a layer, draw a shape, use the text tool, or in the case of the attachment above change the page size I get these Access Violation Exception messages. So all I can do is open my file or a blank page and look at it.

Does anyone even know what these error codes refer to specifically? That would be a starting point to me getting it fixed because I dont know what else to try. Thanks all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WD6 Screen dump.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	83484  

I can only suggest three things to you.

* Reboot
    * Reinstall
    * Report support.xara.com

The error codes may be useful to Xara developers - only they can know what they refer to.

Been rebooted numerous times,also reinstalled. The problem was passed to magix from xara, but magix have stopped replying a few days ago

Quote Originally Posted by Megg81 View Post
    Im now receiving another error message also (attachment) Access Violation Exception at 0x00670CB5.

snip

Does anyone even know what these error codes refer to specifically? That would be a starting point to me getting it fixed because I dont know what else to try. Thanks all.
    They are not codes generated specifically by Xara. They are created by windows because the operating system has found that WD6 is trying to access some memory it has no business messing with. The number indicates where in memory the program code was being executed when it made the invalid acccess.

Unfortunately, this code will be of no use to you at all. It is maddening, but it's likely that the reason for it is down to one or more reasons:

Problems in the windows environment - bad device drivers or windows installation problems or conflicts ( perhaps nothing related to Xara at all).
    Problems with memory.
    Data in the site document causing Xara to mis-behave.

I can understand how infuriating it would be - particularly if you are reliant on the software for client support or your own livelihood.

From your description, you don't mention whether these woes happen when Xara is started and working on new files, or whether it only happens after opening your problematic site. It may be that some rogue data in that site is causing a problem for Xara. It may not be enough just to close that site and continue working with Xara to clear that problem. Identify if these problems occur when not working on that document, or only after working on the document.

If Xara only plays up after working on that specific site, you at least know that it's related to the data in the site file and not a general problem. Then you can explore further.

Thanks Pauland for your reply, that's interesting and yep, see above, it happens with that particular site and with just new blank documents too. I can open WD6, open a new page, but then the second I try to "do" anything to that page I get the error message. Pretty much I can open it and look at it! So it's both that particular file (the site, which is as yet unfunished) and a new document too. Also on new documents opened before or after that particular website file is opened, it just seems to be anything.

The odd thing is that it was working fine for a time before this error developed. The computer I was working on before waved a white flag & in the end and after much investigation had to have the hard drive replaced, but my husband needs it now its fixed. So I had to install WD on an old laptop which received a prompt reprieve from being sold for parts - the programme worked fine for about a week until these Access Violation Exception messages began randomly appearing and once they did that was it, I've not been able to do a thing on it since & this is the laptop I have to finish up my work on for now & publish on, Im weeks behind...

Reinstall Windows...? Reckon it could be a problem with the operating system? - or is there something a little less drastic that might be worthwhile trying out first, you mentioned drivers? It's had 2 new ram sticks installed yesterday & thats speeded everything up in general, but not done a thing to resolve probs with WD. Cheers.

Does your laptop get very hot? Sometimes with old laptops the fan fails or cooling is not so good. The processor gets a good workout with XWD, so I wonder if it's just the laptop overheating causing the memory to malfunction. Are your woes confined to XWD? Which windows?

I've had it open (it came to me 3rd hand some time ago) and actually its pretty spotless inside, doesnt get hot. The intake for the fan is on the top next to the keyboard, which makes a nice change to it sucking in dust and whatnot from underneath. My problems are only confined to WD6 - everything else works fine on it, including other large progs like Photoshop and Inkscape. Its Windows XP Home Edition 2002 with service pack 3

2.8 GHz processor
    Last edited by Megg81; 11 August 2011 at 11:30 AM.