Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Cannot run XDP7

Default Cannot run XDP7

I am at a total loss.

I have been using XDP7 since it was first available with no problems at all. I needed the program for an urgent task (why do things only go wrong when there is something urgent to get done!) and the progam stopped working. The page is greyed out and the message box simply says "A problem caused the program to stop working ....Windows will close the program etc etc..."

It may be related to LiveEffects as I can see at the bottom RH edge "Please wait Rendering LiveEffects...."

I have tried repairing the program and uninstalling and reinstalling but still get the same result.

I have become reliant on XDP7 for my business so this is all a bit of a blow, has anyone got any ideas?

Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

Default Re: Cannot run XDP7

Hello Martin

I moved your post to the Xara Graphics Chat where it should get more attention.

Can you create a new document without any problems? If so, you can always recreate the document (easier done than said, granted).

But before you do that try opening one of the recent backup files and see if this helps (File > Open Recent > Backups...)

The backups are dated and so start with the most recent. If you can get one of these to work you will only have to redo the most recent additions.

And if you do get one to open OK, then be sure to save it with a new name before you do any work.

Thanks Gary,

I think I meant to put it into chat, but with so much going on I pressed the wrong button.

I couldn't do anything as the program simply would not work, it would try to start - get as far as loading live effects and then freeze - even after a full reinstallation.

I have got it working now by opening Explorer and changing the file names of the files I was working on so that the program couldn't recognise them and it started OK. I even have the latest versions of the files I was working on intact.

Very strange - but the whole of today has been like that!

Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'

Hi,
    This may not be relevant but I am running Windows 7 64Bit and a few days ago got same message, but on using Windows Update shortly after XDP7 worked.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I think the problem might be connected with Eye Candy 4000.

I am designing a stage set and what I do is to create the graphics that I then import into the material properties of stage objects that are created in a 3D CAD package.

One of the stage artefacts is a seal on a tub with a spinning sparkly ball on his nose. So I used Chrome as a simple way to get a representation of a sparkly ball. Unfortunately the chrome plug-in doesn't seem to be intact as it now has no material properties. I have only just started this task but the attachment shows progress so far.

I will re-install the plug-ins to see if that works.

I am still not happy with XDP7 as when I reinstalled it the icon disappeared, I don't want to try it again because I understand that there are only a limited number of reinstalls allowed by Xara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	83435

BTW, Eye Candy 4000 is not included anymore with Xara Designer so it cannot render this affect if it was added to a file created with an earlier version.

The file that DP7 tries to open on startup seems to have a problem, my suggestion is to find this file on your HDD and move it or rename it. This will mean DP7 won't be able to open it on start and should open with only a message about the missing file.

Many thanks Shapeshifter,

That is more or less what I have done.

When I first installed XDP7 I set up all the plugins in a new directory and then pointed XDP7 to this directory and everything worked perfectly.

The worry is that te Reflection Map files have actually disappeared from the Chrome plugin (I checked with Explorer). I have now reinstalled Eyecandy 4000 to the original directory and all is now well. I did check all the other plugins before I reinstalled and they worked fine, so why just the reflection maps files should disappear is a mystery as they are in a directory that normally I would never touch!

Thanks again

Martin

Hello Riftvalley,

I have the same problem here with Eye Candy 4000, the files made in DP6 crushing when trying to open in DP7, after few attempts I open the file in old version, remove the Live effects and now it's opening just fine in the new version. You write that after reinstalling Eye Candy 400 all is well. I try that 10 times, even erasing all my Xara software and reinstalling only DP7 but still no lack .
    You write ''When I first installed XDP7 I set up all the plugins in a new directory and then pointed XDP7 to this directory and everything worked perfectly.''
    How exactly did you manage to do that? where is that option to tell the program where are the plug-ins ?

By the way, I didn't manage to have both DP6 and DP7 working in tandem perfectly,it seems that somehow it interfere one with with other and ''do'' crazy stuff, like when i try to open a file with right click open with DP6 it open some time ok but sometime with DP7 and viceversa. And sometime it didn't open at all, and so on.

Thanks
    Michael

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello Riftvalley and zmg, did either of you purchase the EC4000 from Xara in the past? I am really just guessing here but perhaps if you are trying to run the demo version that may be what is causing the issue?

I can also tell you that if you purchased 4000 through Xara you do qualify for an upgrade discount through Alien Skin on the newest version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hello again.
    Yes, I have Eye Candy 4000 from Xara, I have the 12 digits key so I understand that I can by an upgrade. What I want to know is if You have Eye Candy 6 working on Designer Pro 7, because this is the combination I need, for Designer Pro 6 I already have Eye Candy 4000 working. Thanks