Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

They were working but now they don't even see any disk in the drive. I have tried many different disks in case one was bad but it says that there's no disk in the drive. They both open and the lights appear. I have restarted and shut down and started up again. I have changed the IDE cable joining them to the mother board and still the problem exists ... I have uninstalled both and let windows XP detect hardware and install them again and still they act as though no cd was in either drive . This is driving ( no pun intended [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) me nuts.

I have been searching google groups and found many simialr cases even back to windows 95 users but I haven't found any solutions.

Sorry for the off XaraX topic but this is a busy forum with any knowledgable comuter users and I hope maybe somebody here knows what this problem might be about

Windows XP home edition
    Compaq SC-140S cd-rom drive
    LG CD-RW CED8120B

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

They were working but now they don't even see any disk in the drive. I have tried many different disks in case one was bad but it says that there's no disk in the drive. They both open and the lights appear. I have restarted and shut down and started up again. I have changed the IDE cable joining them to the mother board and still the problem exists ... I have uninstalled both and let windows XP detect hardware and install them again and still they act as though no cd was in either drive . This is driving ( no pun intended [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) me nuts.

I have been searching google groups and found many simialr cases even back to windows 95 users but I haven't found any solutions.

Sorry for the off XaraX topic but this is a busy forum with any knowledgable comuter users and I hope maybe somebody here knows what this problem might be about

Windows XP home edition
    Compaq SC-140S cd-rom drive
    LG CD-RW CED8120B

I know I would be [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Is this link any help?
    Computerhope web site
    It mentions viruses, but you've already done most of what they suggest.

Best of luck!
    Jess

David

Might be related to a recent Windows XP update.

Check in add/remove programs to see if any updates have been applied around the time the drives stopped working.

Has happened to a person in my office, recently.

Hardware diagnostic,

If both drives are on the same IDE channel, check they are being recognised during boot up, or enter BIOS setup to see if they are present. If they are then it is almost certainly Windows XP that has forgotten about them.

Try connecting only one drive at a time, a failed drive on the same channel maybe disabling detection of the other drive.

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

I had the same problem in Win2K some weeks ago.
    Both drives (CDRom and RW) were there in hardware/Win2K, they had no problems but I kept getting the message that there was no CD loaded.
    I had to restart (cold start) a few times and then it was gone...
    What's your config?
    Mine is Aopen12x10x32x (with flash dl from the Aopen website) as master and CDRom52x as slave.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Hmmm ...it is very odd sometimes how computers work (or dont)

Mine are

1 compaq sc-140s 12x8x32x cd-rom master
    1 LG something-or-other CD-RW(I disconnected it so I can't read the info) slave drive

They have been working great up till last night (were working that day .... and I did restart that day and windows saved some settings during shut down)

Anyway , it's not a huge prob as long as it gets fixed within the week or so. i'll keep searching google groups with different keywords in search of a fix

If it is indeed due to an XP update, go out to Google and punch in XP News, I was getting a news letter from a group like that (don't even run XP, go figure) and I think they have forums on that site, you might check it out to see if anyone has a solution for ya.

I know what it's like to be frustrated with a machine that's not working up to snuff. Makes you want to throw the whole thing out the window sometimes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

UPDATE: here are some links for you:
    Windows Support Forum for XP

Windows Users XP

Good Luck, hope this helps you....

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Boot with a win98 startup disk. If the drives work, then it's not winXP related.

The first thing I thought of when I read your post was "Better check for driver updates."

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll