Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The controversial eraser tool

Hi Phil

yes - there are several ways it could be implemented
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Paul - your image does not show erasing a line's [outline's] width - only it's length

I think the point John is making is a good one if we are talking about a true eraser, and not just 'a remover of already exisiting nodes'
    If you are talking about nibbling into a line, then you are right, but really that's not the correct logical operation for an eraser with respect to a line. Effectively an eraser will sever the line if it crosses it. It doesn't just remove existing nodes, it will add nodes to ensure that the line being severed ends at the correct place. You can see that in my example the severed lines have the correct end caps that have been chosen for the line.

If you want to nibble the shape of the line, make it a shape, then nibble. I'll make an example if you wish.

As others have remarked Xara almost has the required functionality in place. If I drag the eraser across my shapes and lines it leaves a white shape in it's wake. When I let go that shape is essentially subtracted from any editable shapes and lines it crosses.

edit - replying here to post #32

no need Paul - that was my starting point too for vector

which was why I was confused at first, until I realised John was taking you at your word and describing what a true eraser would have to do in a vector environment, ie erase anything it crossed over length or width...

a true eraser of lines would erase width as well as length
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Not all of those solutions would require stroked lines to be converted permanently to shapes, leading to the problems that you have pointed out.
    Yes, but other solutions may introduce other complications.
    John.

What we draw on screen is an interpretation of a logical entity. It could be a line or a shape. If we say that something is a line, it still has a shape representing the line on screen. The eraser tool will know that this is a line and treat it as such rather than operate on the depiction of the line as an on-screen shape. If we want the eraser to treat the line as a shape, then we should make it a shape, so I don't see any ambiguity at all.

If there's any confusion about my examples, they were all made using a non-Xara vector eraser on vector shapes and lines.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    that's not the correct logical operation for an eraser with respect to a line.
    That's a correct point. But in your video you can see eraser used to remove only fragments of lines. Some of those lines are very wide. And removed fragments don't even intersect their path. So such eraser tool would be of no help in having the illustrated workflow.
    John.

edit - to Paul:

so we can freehand draw with shapes in real time? - no, not in xara we can't [well apart from
    some restricted workarounds] - there is the problem for the fast organic stuff
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    edit - to Paul:

so we can freehand draw with shapes in real time? - no, not in xara we can't [well apart from
    some restricted workarounds] - there is the problem for the fast organic stuff
    Freehand drawing with brushes in an organic manner isn't an issue for vector applications generally. They would compliment the eraser tool very well and take Xara to a new level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eraser3.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	83371  
    Last edited by pauland; 04 August 2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: having fun

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    That's a correct point. But in your video you can see eraser used to remove only fragments of lines. Some of those lines are very wide. And removed fragments don't even intersect their path. So such eraser tool would be of no help in having the illustrated workflow.
    The video is not of a vector application. It's intended to show the applicability of the eraser tool in an artistic workflow.