Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Default Re: The controversial eraser tool

Quote Originally Posted by sarahdenise03 View Post
    Okay, this thread tells me that Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 has no NORMAL eraser tool? Can I have a refund? Sheesh. I'm no pro at this kind of stuff but I think EVERY photo editing or graphic designing stuff has to HAVE an eraser tool. T___T So disappointed. I mean, it's just one tool. Why can't they put it? Even if they're saying that this is a vector software, they must have at least one of these basic tools.
    Take this from a complete amateur.
    I use Designer Pro 7 (Photo & Graphic Designer is similar) and it is THE BEST drawing package I know of.
    You do not need a refund - You just need to use it.
    There is nothing you cannot do, without the need for an Eraser.
    To many, an Eraser would be useful, but it has not stopped me from drawing.
    So, until Xara introduce the Eraser Tool, just start using it and there are hundreds of Xperts on this forum who will help you to achieve what ever you want.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you bought it without taking advantage of the 30day free trial?

if it's that important a tool to you you would have noticed straight away when trying it out - right?

everyone should try it out first.. only common sense really
    Yeah, I see your point. But the thing is, it's with another software that I bought and you can only buy it in a package with this Xara thing.
    Last edited by sarahdenise03; 22 January 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Well, don't wimp out, give the software a proper go. Do you seriously think all the users on TG would be here if it wasn't very capable.

The eraser would be nice to have. It's not a must-have.

Just tried the Drawplus Starter Edition (free) and although the tools (including eraser) are on the toolbar, they're not usable unless you upgrade to the full product - now 59.95.
    Glenn

I have to admit, I bought Xara Xtreme v5. I liked it because, 1) affordable, 2) easy to use, 3) AFFORDABLE! I also will admit - I absolutely LOVE this group of people on these boards, they are so very helpful! I am NOT a pro, but I AM learning and I DO use Xara every day. It REALLY, TRULY, would be nice to have an eraser for some things - it is simply a PITA to have to go clip a single little left-over line when doing a "combine Shapes - Slice" For example, I was working through Egg Bramhill's tutorial on creating a glass and ended up with one tiny little line that I needed to "erase." It took a few steps to draw a rectangle over the top and clip it out when a simple eraser would have been much more simple. THOSE are the times when an eraser would be handy to have. Yes, I've survived and used Xara without it, but honestly - IT WOULD BE NICE! Again, just my 2-cents as an end-user - not as a "Pro."
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Quote Originally Posted by sarahdenise03 View Post
    Yeah, I see your point. But the thing is, it's with another software that I bought and you can only buy it in a package with this Xara thing.
    so in a way it's a bonus....

if you want to draw in a freehand brush style then frankly xara is not the program - if you don't , once you learn the program then as others have said you likely wont miss the eraser..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by glenngosack View Post
    Just tried the Drawplus Starter Edition (free) and although the tools (including eraser) are on the toolbar, they're not usable unless you upgrade to the full product - now 59.95.
    if you gave serif your email hang on in there.. you'll get lots and lots of offers and sooner or later drawplus will feature, usually just before the new version comes out if past experience is anything to go by....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If people are using Photo & Graphic Designer to edit their photos the Magic Eraser is a "Real" eraser. You can remove things in the photo that you do not want to be there.

All the discussion within this thread is regarding a Vector Eraser, a horse of a different colour as it were. A photo, raster, bitmap eraser is a much easier task to accomplish.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I've been using Xara in its various guises for 12 years or so and since I've never had the luxury of an eraser I have what I consider to be very effective and efficient ways to erase:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erase_points.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	86843

It doesn't really bother me that there isn't an eraser even though, if they were now to include this function, I'm sure I would use it.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Well, don't wimp out, give the software a proper go. Do you seriously think all the users on TG would be here if it wasn't very capable.

The eraser would be nice to have. It's not a must-have.
    Again,....everyone is different and yes,...for me, an eraser is a MUST-HAVE.