Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question upgrade of web designer 5 to 7

Hi there,
    Am coming back to Xara after a long time away :-)
    Not a heavy user/designer at all, mainly look for ease-of-use.
    Is it worth me upgrading to 7 from 5?

BTW: Couldn't see an upgrade price just for going from 5 to 7 "standard".

Most of the premium extras I wouldn't use, anyway. But am surprised at how many things WebDesigner can't do after looking at the comparison to premium !!

Default Re: upgrade of web designer 5 to 7

From WD5 to WD7 standard is a 'downgrade' of features, it's a new marketing angle for X/M. You need to upgrade to WD7 'Premium' .

Yes, from version 5 to version 7 Premium is a big step up in features and well worth it. Go for it.
    Last edited by ShapeShifter; 01 August 2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: d'oh

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    From WD5 to WD7 standard is a 'downgrade' of features, it's a new marketing angle for X/M. You need to upgrade to WD7 'Premium' .

Yes, from version 5 to version 7 Premium is a big step up in features and well worth it. Go for it.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do I read that right? The product lost features???
    Come to think of it I don't recall seeing a V6. What I'd like is to see is the difference from 5, but if I read you right, the product has literally been downgraded - a common low trick today - so I guess I'd better have a look at this Premium.

No no no, you misunderstand me.
    First, yes - there was a Web Designer 6 last year.
    Now, in 2011 there's a version 7, but this time - two editions.
    Web Designer 7 Premium is the 'upgrade' path for previous WD owners, WD7 (lite) is not intended as an upgrade path (it's not even available as an upgrade). It's intended for first time 'tinkerers'. Probably useful as a low cost lite collaboration tool for working with clients and so on.
    Web Designer 7 Premium has so much more than WD5 and 6 did. It more closely resembles Xara Xtreme (not Pro) but with all the web features and additional graphics tools that version 5 and 6 didn't have.
    Last edited by ShapeShifter; 01 August 2011 at 04:26 AM.