Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

25th November: me -> Xara
    Could you please let me know if Xara X is still under development as a "live" product, and if it hasn't been discontinued, when a service pack and/or a new release will be available.

3rd December: Xara -> me
    We haven't given up on it yet but there's no release on the immediate horizon. We don't have anything yet that's firm enough for a public announcement.

25th November: me -> Xara
    Could you please let me know if Xara X is still under development as a "live" product, and if it hasn't been discontinued, when a service pack and/or a new release will be available.

3rd December: Xara -> me
    We haven't given up on it yet but there's no release on the immediate horizon. We don't have anything yet that's firm enough for a public announcement.

Daniel,

Thanks, for the update. I hate to say this, but I think Xara X is dead! Considering the time periods involved, and Xara does not even seem to have started any development/patches, is pretty depressing from a user standpoint.

Not to sound too negative, but if Xara X is dead, the majority of the blame has to be placed on their p*ss poor marketing/communication. They failed to capitalize on their great grassroots support, and great product. How can a product this good fail? You can only blame Corel for so long.

I believe the Xara X will still be in my toolbox until something can replace it. Hopefully the new version of Real-Draw Pro will be promising, but I hate to say it but "I'm off searching for a X replacement, while Xara sleeps". May not find one, but I have to do something. In my opinion Xara X has no foreseeable future.

Dave Zubrowski

Xara FAQ
    Dave Zubrowski

...and me too!

Biology show us that evolution don't proceed at the same speed at any time or for any kind of organism. Perhaps all the rest is fantasy ???
    I have the chance of not to believe into rigid and repetitive market rules.

In waiting for better times, perhaps could we open a thread about more funny things relative to our experience with and around Xara X. I give you an exemple with this thread

Kindly,
    ivan

Do you know there was a brand new boxed release of Xara X ?

It's called "X BOX"

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(sorry and kindly)
    ivan

Couldn't agree more, Ivan!

While Xara's 'haven't given up on it yet' statement certainly sounds almost like an ominous slip of the tongue, Dave's counter opinion that 'Xara X has no foreseeable future' strikes me as extraordinarily pessimistic. Since I'm still using the same Xara X I bought for the things I bought it for (and more), I'd have to add that for me it has as much (or more) of a future as it did when I bought it!

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

Hello

C'mon people, just look at the economics of Xara.

$149 to buy and $69 to upgrade. That just will not pay developers at say $30000(not a great deal) a year. They have to sell/upgrade a hell of a lot of Xara.

How many do you reckon they have sold since XaraX came out?

The same goes for RealDraw. It might just pay enough for one or two people.

Adobe can afford the developers, because they have the critical mass as well as being able to command a high price.

Slow and steady sales and very little work on XaraX, makes more sense for Xara. That is until they are ready to make a new version. Could be a long time.

What could really be added to Xarax that would make any great difference to a truly excellent product.

Every day a large number of people show on this site how versatile Xarax is and how they manage to get round its faults. Xarax is a bargain, but that is also its weakness.

Mike Engles

I agree with Mike, and that's probably the same for a program like ZBrush which has given several stunning free upgrades to it's users these months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Every day a large number of people show on this site how versatile Xarax is <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found the things were less enthusiastic these times. I would try to show something really new in next weeks and encourage people to keep smiling and imaginative here!

kindly,
    ivan

Reading Mike's post, would you pay more for Xara X if that meant more timely updates and fixes? Or would you pay for an annual support contract for timely maintenance updates new versions? Depending on the additional cost(s), I would fork over more dough.

Apparently Xara has programmers on the payroll, look at the updates:

Xara 3D
    Menu Maker
    Photo Gallery
    WebStyle

They are putting effort into the items that are selling (just like any smart business)!Apparently X is not selling that well, if it was they would probably update it first. This is why I say Xara X does not have a future. This is more of an economic statement than a validity statement on the usability of the product. Why keep a poorly performing product in your line.

However, all this is pure speculation, because we will probably never know the real story from Xara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I also have a strong feeling that they may be shopping the product around for sale.

Dave Zubrowski

Xara FAQ
    Dave Zubrowski

yes yes I do understand this.. there must be some more/new Xara to come??
    Nice stuff on Zbrush's site.. interesting program for 3D it appears. 3D is compelling, in some ways way cooler than 2D but in many other ways way less interesting for this artist than 2D. Just like 3D etc video compared with paintings on canvas. I'm doing both. But always there will be a place for traditional techniques. Xara excels in traditional techniques. And traditional techniques are always the basis for any groundbreaking work in order.. x y or z.

The Joy Of Xara for me is that its essentially the same whatever the update and it is The Tool for getting whats in my braincell quickly into digital format, then to flash. They cant improve on it, or if they can I cannot imagine how. Perfect tool for quickly getting analogue brain data to digital data then to whatever format is web-current.. but in a world of onward and upwardness I guess updates are a necessary marketing ploy. Adobe and Macromedia updates are pretty much useless to me.. freeeeehand since ver 5 and photoshop since ver 5 -more than one undo was the truly brilliant and mind boggling piece of Adobewisdom of the previous millennium. But Flash updates are essential just because flash is pushing boundaries, not in presentation of image/art but scripting etc.

This thought of up dateness or out of dateness reminding me of scary piece off the web I saw recently -
    "There is no IMG tag in the working draft of XHTML 2. Kind of makes you wonder."

aaaagh

Q