Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Save Options for .xar files

Is it possible to Save a .xar file with security options... e.g. Password to Open / Password to Modify ?

T.

Default Re: Save Options for .xar files

I do not know of any way to do this directly.

However Share > With Nobody might work. Though I have no idea how this works except perhaps for people who also use your computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	share-with.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	83187  

Thanks Gary

Certainly this could be one for the "Wish List"

T.

Try AxCrypt. Free Open Source

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look.

T.

Put it in a zip file with a password.

As Gary has written in his post "..I do not know of any way to do this directly..."

If you cannot do it directly from within the software then it creates yet another layer of complexity and another task to be done. There are any number of ways of protecting files outside of the source software, but protecting files from within the source software is much more convenient.

In my view password protection at file level would be a useful and welcome enhancement to the software.

T.

This is not an official statement but I suspect that the demand for this feature is far too low for it to be seriously considered for implementation, especially as there are so many ways of doing this external to the program.

Also, the implementation of this would be quite complex as it adds another layer to the already complex saving and loading code. The program doesn't currently have a "read only" mode so having different passwords for opening and modifying would need general changes throughout the program to stop indirect modification (e.g. copy and paste to a new document). How secure would you want it to be? If you forget your password would you expect to need a supercomputer for several years to brute-force decode it or would you like to be able to get your file back more easily?

I don't really see the point in password protecting the Xar file. You wouldn't generally give a Xar file to someone else to look at, and if you did there would be very little point in protecting it.

However, we are open to any and all feature requests so by all means post it in the Dear Xara forum (preferably giving a bit more detail) and it will get added to the wish list (if it isn't on there already).

Gerry

Thanks Gerry.

Agree, developer time could be better used elsewhere.

T.