Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using videos

Default Re: Using videos

Yes, as I mentioned earlier in post#2, .flv is better for streaming via the swfplayer.
    File creation date changes to the date the file is converted to the new container format for me (I use Windows7 64bit and FF 2.20)

I've been considering moving my videos from Wordpress to my own web site. But still need some clarification: Will WD accept MP4 or not, despite .flv being better? And how can I get an image from the video to appear (ie as Youtube does) instead of a plain box? The video feature is obviously very important for many web sites.
    Last edited by Starhunter; 26 July 2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes it does support MP4 (h264) and FLV, of course - it's why Xara included this feature. But some oddball codecs are not supported by the player
    No, it does not show a picture like youtube player does.
    But you can use a screen shot:

[1] Drag your .flv to the page in Xara
    [2] Play the video in web preview and stop it at a frame you want to use as the picture
    [3] Press PrtScrn to take a screen shot.
    [4] Paste into your page and crop to the player (click image twice to start the crop tool)
    [5] Align the cropped screenshot and .flv placeholder together and set the screenshot image to the back
    [6] Preview to make sure the alignment is neat.

Here's a DEMO of just that

OK, that system works for showing the photo. The main advantage is that, unlike Youtube, I can pick my own image. The main problem is the extra steps needed.

So I next tried the Youtube widgets, and can't get either one to work. After clicking "Insert" at the bottom, it only pops up with a message:

Unable to find the HTML code for the widget on the widget site or on the clipboard.

- Browse youtube for your required video.
    - Customise the Embed link if required
    - Click the Insert button below to add the video to your page.

Sorry about that, I think you'll find that using Xara Web Designer will always require some 'extra' steps' when creating your own customised pages.
    As you know, XWD isn't a WP replacement and neither does it make decisions for the designer - you have pretty much full control over the look, feel, design and functions of your site.

With the YouTube embedding, you have to choose the video, select to Share then Embed, select the code then copy to the clipboard. Only then can Xara access the code for you - this is when you press 'insert'.
    Xara's embed widgets are just the lazy-mans way of opening a browser window and surfing to the site to copy some code. You don't really need them once you understand what they are doing.

It's just as easy to embed by doing this from the youtube page and paste as HTML placeholder in Xara really.

It works great embedded. Thanks.