Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Broken anchor links

I think I posted this in the wrong Forum so I'm trying again.

I am Using DP7, Win 7, 64-bit.
    I'm making a web page in my site with 6 paragraphs describing different things.
    I want a "Table of Contents" at the top of the page with a link to each paragraph on the page. I set up an anchor on the first or second word of each paragraph "using "Names" and then created a link to each one from the Table of Contents. All 6 of the links show up as a link and change color when I hover over them.

Links 1, 2, 3 and 6 work correctly. Link 4 goes to the top of the page and link 5 does nothing. I've deleted and reentered the Table of Contents, removed the first anchor word in each paragraph, reenterd the word and recreated a new Name. Can't make these 2 work.

When I delete a Name from the Name Gallery it says I am using the name "x" times on this page and sometimes other pages. (See attachment) This seems strange. But all of my anchor names are said to be "used several times" and 4 out of 6 of them work ok. And they are NOT used elsewhere on the same page so it should say used 1 time on this page.

All of my paragrahs have an associated clipart that is anchored to the paragraph. But 4 out of 6 work so this does not seem to be the cause.

Here is a link to the page in question. The "Clothes" and "BCE" links do not work.
    http://kingstoncc.org/breaking%20news.htm#naccc.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you, Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bad anchor.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	82960  

Default Re: Broken anchor links

Make sure that the photo objects that are the anchors are on top of the text. And verify that each is named.

To be honest I just looked at your site and tried some of the table of contents links and I had no idea where I was or where I was supposed to be. It was all of lot of text.

If you are going to use anchors, and anchors are an excellent solution for large amounts of text, I would stick with a single column and make the column just wide enough for your visitor to comfortably read each line. Look at a book that is easy to read, not the one you are thinking of, but a novel or history or something that is easy to read and has a measure (the width of a line of text) that is easy to read, and count the average number of words per line. Then adjust your column of text accordingly.

I like the idea of insetting an image for each anchor. You can also add an invisible rectangle over each subhead and name and use the rectangles for anchors.

Default Re: Broken anchor links

Thnaks for the reply Gary. I assigned an anchor name to the photos associated with the 2 paragrahs that did not work and the links now work ok. Before, I was assigning a name to the first or second word in the text of those paragraphs. For some reason, the other 4 paragrahs are working with names assigned to the first or second word in the paragraphs.