Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Convert text line to text area

(Using XDP7)

I endlessly find that I have text line objects which I later wish had been proper text areas (because I want to control the size of their bounding box, for example).

Is there any sensible way to convert a text line object into a text area object - it's a bore to do it by creating a new text object and then cutting and pasting the text, and it is seemingly a trivial thing for the software to do automatically.

Alternatively, is there an option (perhaps a hidden one) to have all text objects created as areas rather than lines?

Thanks.

Default Re: Convert text line to text area

Highlight the text and Cut it (Ctrl x) to the clipboard. Draw a text area with the Text Tool and paste. That work?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Highlight the text and Cut it (Ctrl x) to the clipboard. Draw a text area with the Text Tool and paste. That work?
    Thanks Gary - that's how I do it at the moment, but it always feels like a pain - I was hoping for something easier, but if you don't know it, it doesn't exist.

Always drag-out a text area? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

One problem when changing from line-text to the text area is that the line breaks may interfere with the flow. In this case, I use the text editor I have used for eons when programming, UltraEdit. I don't know if NotePad++ has the same facility, but in UE if the text is copied from Xara, pasted in a new document, ctrl-a to highlight all the text, right-click and choose to reformat from line-feeds to wrap, then ctrl-a, cut and paste into the Xara drawn text area, then the line feeds are gone. More time to write the above than it takes to accomplish (seconds).

Take care, Mike