Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Some grapphics print blank

I’m having a printing problem. On several documents lately, certain areas have been printing white. In the past, these have been imported jpeg’s but the in attached example it’s a vector element. Sometimes, parts of a graphic print white, sometimes the whole graphic. Sometimes, I’ve created a new element and it prints properly, sometimes not. The problem existed on my last version of Xara, and apparently has continued with Pro 7.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Print error sample.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	82726  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Some grapphics print blank

I can't see anything obviously wrong with your document and it prints correctly for me to a PostScript driver, a colour LaserJet and XPF and PDF printer drivers.

How are you printing this? Is it a printer connected directly to your PC or is this a sample returned from a print shop? If it is your printer then what printer is it? Do you have the latest drivers for it? Have you changed any of the print options in DP7?

If it is a print shop then how are you sending them the job? PDF, PDF/X, TIFF, print PostScript to a file?

Gerry

I'm printing directly from the computer to an Epson Stylus Photo 2200. I just checked the drivers and the file name for the latest is the same as the last ones I downloaded, so I'm presuming I'm up to date on this. Just in case, I'm reinstalling from the new file. I haven't done anything with print options since upgrading to DP7, or previously to that, for that matter. Some documents do print correctly, and when a document doesn't, I can sometimes correct it by replacing the image with something else, for example, I'll make a bitmap copy of the image and put it in the place of the original, but most of the time this doesn't seem to work either. Sometimes, I've tried copying all of a document onto a new document and sometimes that works, but most often not. Unfortunately, I haven't kept a good record of what works and what doesn't.

I JUST INSTALLED THE NEW DRIVERS and the thing printed correctly. I'm only minimally reassured, however, because I've had documents print wrong, then print correctly then wrong again in the past, although usually once a document isn't working it stays that way. But not always.
    Last edited by charliescoffee; 08 July 2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: New Information

BTW, sometimes I'll tile a project onto a larger page for printing by ctl rt click and dragging and dropping copies and one or two out of perhaps six will exhibit the problem. Also, the blank space always takes the shape of one of the components, but, as in this case, it doesn't always print the entire image blank, but the places where something prints and something doesn't always correspond to something in the document.

Another possibility for a non-printing vector graphic is if the lines are too complex. This happened to me earlier this year - see archives. In such cases the image on screen is OK but the line does not print. There are ways around it.
    EJ

This is still happening. I installed new printer drivers and twice since then I've had documents print with sections of graphics printing blank. Tonight, I pulled out the offending graphics, created bitmap copies (ctrl/shift c) @ 300 dpi, inserted the new items where the old ones were and it's printing OK now. I've tried this in the past and it only works sometimes, so it isn't a reliable fix and anyway I shouldn't have to print stuff first just to see if it will print.

This has become an expensive problem. I'm running expensive paper on many of these projects and getting scrap. It's very frustrating. It happened both on DP 6 & 7 but I don't recall it happening before. I sure would like some help on this.
    Last edited by charliescoffee; 14 July 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: corrected the bitmap shortcut

Prints perfectly fine from DP7 on my Brother laser Charles..

What if you export as PDF then print from Adobe Reader? Does that work?

Prints fine from DP7 on my HP Photosmart too Charles, and I tried it twice..
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I can print fine every time as well.

Try checking your printer properties that it begins printing immediately, or at least that printing direct is not the selected option.

That can often help. But...try the available options. It sounds like the printer is simply being overloaded. Printing to PDF and printing from it usually/often helps.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printer_properties.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	82938