Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

hello everyone!

sorry for all my silence. I've been rearranging lots of things here in my office. and rebuilding 3 computers. and thinking about a topic I will bring up in it's own thread.

I did look into a new website that may interest Graphics Junkies and professionals.

http://www.graphicsnews.com/

if you remember the old I-US site, it had a column of news items related to the graphics industry.

Well, Chris Dickman has started a new site called graphics news. Aside from a color combination that I"m not to fond of ... the site design is great and there is a wealth of info about what is going on with your favorite graphics products.

ps that is just my opinion about the site colors. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] go take a look at it if you have time. and if you're like me and don't like the colors, overlook them. the content is worth the visit.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Thanks for the Url. I miss the old I/us site. Especially the Dave Hauss news column.
    IP

You'll be happy to know Dave Huss is now a columnist for GraphicsNews. But about those colors... tell me more!

Chris Dickman
    IP

It could just be me .... but since you asked [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . . .

Let me put it this way . . . the green and the watermelon pink those might be ok . . . but I'm not shedding tears here if they go away . . . I guess I think of clearer more vivid colors when i think of graphics in general .. so the watermelon rind and fruit colors look ok . . . just not what i'm expecting . . .

I think what really is driving me berserk about the colors is the graphics news logo itself. I'm not arguing the simplicity of the design .. I love simplicity.

The yellow that you have surrounding the watermelon and the green words. . . I'd get rid of that yellow outline . . . (the watermelon is too close to red in spectrum and actually it looks like 15 or 20 % red on white ... and the combination of that red relative next to yellow just smacks of 75% off bargain tags)

I'm loathe to be negative about something I don't readily have a solution for . . but those 3 colors together don't look right to me ...it just doesn't feel like a graphics place to me with those colors .. I was perfectly happy with the colors of I-US . . . and I like the blue and gold colors of the TalkGraphics main site.

maybe just taking out the yellow would suffice. . . Or if you keep the yellow, then ditch the green and watermelon/pink I'll see if I can come up with any good ideas. But that shade of green might be a verygood candidate for removal too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] . I feel so evil here. . .tearing down someone else's hard work . .. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I just asked someone here in my office next to me to give me the first impression of that page. .. he said the green has to go . . . .ummm that's just a first impression from someone who has never seen the site before and has no idea what the content is.

I mean, everything is legible. . the basic format/design does not get in the way of useability -- THAT I applaud. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This is a news site .. so legibility above all else. and for legibility .. i give you an A+ well at least at 800x600 (i never browse text heavy pages at 1024x768 because on my 17 inch screen it's just unbearable). and the navigability ... also primo work on navigability. . . Content. . .A+ again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

just fix the colors.

I remember you used to use a pink like that once before in the table backgrounds at I-US .. that worked well but I think there was more of a blue accent color that you used back then. anyway,the color combos you used at I-US were very legible and attractive.

So ummm ditch the yellow and green [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] or shake up the colors and see what comes out.

Thanks for asking for me to elaborate. I just figured it might just be me who didn't like the color scheme [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

Athena
    Athena
    IP

Much appreciated -- I'll give this some thought and see what I can come up with in Jan.

By the way, there's a Galleries area on the site, where people can display examples of their work. Happy to create a Painter area if there is interest.

Chris
    IP

Thought I'd mention that the logo has been changed and the pink is nowhere to be found. However, green is my favorite color, what can I say?

I have set up a Painter gallery but so far only one person has created an image there. I encourage others to show what Painter can do.

Chris
    GraphicsNews
    IP

Hmmm .... maybe I'm odd (ok ... not maybe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) but I never found the colours to be unfavourable. I kindof like the green and I like the gradient from dark to normal green at top (as opposed to all flat colours.

I mean look at this place ....how many practically white websites can we take [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

As far as green sites .... one I cannot stand is http://www.synthetik.com/ ... the site just plain needs fixing IMHO

I find graphicsnews to be very useful and I check it every day. I like the fact that it lists new graphics tools on the front there as it feeds my graphics program demo addiction quite well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg
    IP