Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How crippled is the trial version?

I have wasted too much of my life already with trials that aren't really trials, or are trials of really awful software. I have VERY little patience for crippled demos that don't say how crippled they are. This so-called trial version seems to be one of them.

I've spent some time this evening exploring it. It is VERY aggravating to get to an area and be told that "this feature isn't available in the trial version." I am ready to dump this software as coming from a poisonously unfriendly company, but it looks like pretty good stuff, so I want to give it a chance.

Is there any information, anywhere, about the capabilities and limitations of the trial version? Is this company as unfriendly as it seems?

Default Re: How crippled is the trial version?

I am ready to dump this software as coming from a poisonously unfriendly company
    Wow, that's a tad harsh -- the software is fully functional. But you won't get the free templates and clip art until after you register (Xara developers have mouths to feed too ya'know ).
    You can build a fully functional web site using your own design skills without any templates what-so-ever. Nothing is crippled and nothing is watermarked.

Is this company as unfriendly as it seems?
    Absolutely not.
    Last edited by covoxer; 05 July 2011 at 06:37 AM.

lets hope it isn't only the company that isn't 'as unfriendly as it seems'

welcome to TG Lou
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Please excuse my testiness, but I think (and feel) that it's justified. There isn't a word (that I can find) about the fact that you can't use any of their templates, graphics, etc. in the "trial version." That's a bit odd, since the program's flexibility with its templates, graphics, etc. seems to be one if its main features, and is the subject of a great number of very nice online movies.

So they give you a trial version that doesn't allow you to sample their greatest features (which DO seem to be pretty good), and they don't even let you know. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Are most people trying to create websites only interested in templates?

Where is their originality, their ability to visualize and create from the vision?

The greatest features are not the templates, the Tools within the application that allow you to create without templates are the greatest features.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It's like they give you a complimentary ticket to a play, but they don't tell you it doesn't include a seat. Then they promote the wonderful comfort of their seats, show you all the different upholstery styles, comfort mechanisms, etc.

Lou, you could use the software to design your own violin.

bit subtle there Paul.....

Lou - you expect to get what you pay for when you pay for it

But when you don't pay for it the providers don't expect you to complain about what you don't get, that is bad karma. Savvy?

There are uncharitable souls around who may use the templates for free without ever paying for anything - now I know you will find that hard to believe, but trust an old cynic like me, it happens; it's a cruel and wicked world.....
    [insert tearful smiley here]
    Last edited by handrawn; 05 July 2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typos happen also, all too frequently
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have been using Netobjects since around 2001 and am slowly transferring 10 years of websites (over 30 sites) to Xara Pro as this is an all in 1 solution. Very time consuming but this is fantastic software, even if I am a novice at it to date. Obviously has limitations compared to other software but also added features - overall, very user friendly... also, these forums are fantastic as all my learning queries have been addressed.

Out of interest, what motivates you to stop using NetObjects?