Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default copy protecting website

I have seen that some sites have copy protection built in, where if you go to right click copy words, its doesnt let you. Is this facility available in Xara? I have found a website that gives you some code to put in which would prevent copying. But I dont know how this would work with XWD?

Default Re: copy protecting website

I don't think it's worth the time to try to protect the content of a webpage by obfuscating the source or try to prevent the copy and paste. There's too many ways around the copy/paste and doesn't always work with all browsers. Normally you can just highlight the text and just press control-c to copy it or view the source and retrieve it from there.

In order for a browser to display a page properly, the html needs to be de-ofuscated. This is done on a person's computer in the browser so they have access to the method used and the original source anyway.

It may prevent the casual visitor from copying things, but, a good Google search will bring up results on how to get around it. Normally not worth the effort.

The code itself would be JavaScript and a Google search should bring up quite a few examples.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Default Re: copy protecting website

Stuart, you can stop casual copying, but it's not possible to stop anyone with even a small amount of knowledge from copying what's on the website. If it's displayed on your website I will be able to copy it.

There have been a lot of discussions about this on TG in the past.

If you don't want something copied don't put it on a website.