Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: White stripe around exported wallpaper graphic

Dear Scotty,

It's 1am here. Is it reasonable to expect me to go into work at night, to get a file, to send to you, to see whether you can solve this? Oddly enough, I have been forced to use an external editor to crop Xara stuff, because of the white pixels on export. Annoying, isn't it? But I will go back in tomorrow and give the other suggestions a try. As far as I knew, I had already sorted out the grid and snapping, and was using "Photograph" rather than any of the other document or web page settings. But still I had trouble. I am newish to Xara, but not new to graphic design. I don't have problems with other programs - unless I've forgotten a shadow somewhere. I love that Xara can be so precise, but I also hate that. I wish it could be disabled for screen work (as opposed to print). I spend a lot of time trying to size and align everything to get a good look. It should be easy but it isn't actually. It's a pain in an otherwise excellent program.

Night night.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Artyboots View Post
    As far as I knew, I had already sorted out the grid and snapping, and was using "Photograph" rather than any of the other document or web page settings. But still I had trouble.
    Hi A,

In your opening post you said :- >>I check everything carefully. Make the page 1280 x 800. Make sure the alignment is ok by inserting measurements in the boxes - ie not dragging. Make sure no object is secretly sticking out a bit. I have deleted the page's shadow. <<
    Yet above you say you are using the "Photograph" document. From this I think it's entirely possible you are probably not using the template I'm suggesting because the Blank Photo document has no page size at all - in fact there is no white page area on the screen and there is obviously no page shadow. It's a special document which accommodates whatever the size of the content placed on it and only exports that area. It's the probably the closest thing to pixel based editors like photoshop etc who's canvas is the size of the drawing.. Other page templates (with white page and shadow) are primarily intented for vector drawing, poster/brochure and website layouts

When you get time, please attach your *.xar document so we can help you further.

Blank photo. That's what I meant. I make the wallpaper using the blank photo, but still I get white lines on export. Will try what you say tomorrow. Thank you for taking the trouble to post.

Ali

Hi A--we were all attempting aid. Because we cannot reproduce the issue on our end, having a file, even a mock one that exhibits the issue on your end, is pretty much a necessity.

To recap, use pixels as the units. Make your page the intended export size, make sure all the desired elements either run off the page or at least to the page edge and exporting to the desired format simply works without any hassle. If your elements extend off the page, make sure in the export dialog to select the "Page" radio button on the Bitmap size tab. Be sure the dpi is set to 96 once page is selected and export.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Artyboots View Post
    Blank photo. That's what I meant. I make the wallpaper using the blank photo
    OK Ali. But there is no page, page edge or page shadow with those templates, therefore there is no need to make your page the intended export size.

I'll be happy to take a look at your .xar file when you get the chance to post it

Hello everybody. Am back, refreshed despite a sweltering night! I have allocated 30 minutes to educating myself today. I know. It's a tall order, considering everything I don't know... I really do want to crack this business of not being able to get anything aligned to the edges of a page. Can't go through life cropping in other programs!

I am becoming mystified by the whole thing. On my web site, which has the same structure on each page, I find some pages will not allow graphics to align. I set something repeatedly to a position of 0:0 and yet it springs back to 6 point something pixels. Just on some pages. Even when they have the same banner graphic. Also, I have one page where I must have accidentally set something, because the left hand ruler is in a totally different scale from the rest of the document, and is upside down, as it were. This is what comes of working to very tight deadlines. I am now going through everything with a fine toothcomb. But some things won't yield. Has anyone else got unruly rulers?

More later, if I ever get the white strip off my graphics!

Best wishes, and thanks to all for the suggestions.

Ali

Hi,

More success, but only after a lot of faff.

I did as suggested and set the photo size to be 1280 x 800. Then put the things on I wanted, one by one. When I set their X points to be 0 because I wanted alignment with the side of the page. There then proceeded to be a merry chase around the canvas. And this is what I can't understand. In the properties setting for the grid, the origin point was 0 for the X dimension. However, the page didn't behave like this. Whenever I set 0 as the X point, and everything looked aligned, I then saw the 0 had been replaced by -6. This happened with everything I placed. Suddenly realised that for some reason the 0:0 points for the page had moved, even though I don't think I touched them.

Whenever I moved an object on the page, I had to redrag the page origin to the correct point on the page. As soon as I moved any object, the page origin moved too and I had to reset it again. However, after the final adjustment I exported and all was well.

Are the origins not lockable by default? And are they not 0:0 by default? Now I know this I might be able to get my pages to behave a bit better in the web site.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Try making a new photo. Try setting the page origin and the objects' origins at X = 0. I predict you will be constantly resetting the origins for both the page and the objects on it before you will be able to export. Wonder why.

Onwards and upwards.

Ali

I did as you suggested. I made a new document at the 1280/800 dims. Set the ruler origins 0,0. Made a rectangle with a grad. fill, export as JPG and attached it. I don't think there is any white edge.

Take care, Mike

resized for the forum, of course...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	82554  
    Last edited by mwenz; 28 June 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added info

Hi mwenz,

Try putting some objects on the drawing, and setting their X origin to 0. I found that when I put a new object on and set its origin to 0, the origin points of the other objects all changed. I could only fix this by dragging the page origin points to the edge of the graphic, even though they were set at 0:0 in the properties.

Maybe this is only a problem on my system, but I can't imagine that.

Good luck.

Ali

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	82556