Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Photo Quality & File Size

I was reading the section on Photo Quality & File Size at the link below and did not quite understand what was meant.

I know that in the past versions, you had to have ton of ram to bring in images of high resolution to for example make a brochure or such. Is this problem with Ram and picture size resolved?

http://www.xara.com/us/products/designer/features/

Default Re: Photo Quality & File Size

Xara is still a 32bit application which means that like at 32bit applications it will only be able to use around 3Gb of installed RAM regardless of how much physical RAM you have actually installed.
    The amount of RAM Xara can use will never change until a 64Bit version is created.

Out of memory errors will still be possible if you import enough photos which while open in Xara will exceed the amount of available RAM.
    Note that a 4Mb JPG will unpack to around 12Mb when open in Xara.

I was hoping that the large images are actually brought in as a link at 96 dpi, something like quark or adobe indesign does. That way only for the output the images are imbedded as 300 dpi for print.

They are imported at 96dpi by default (as was previous versions) unless you change the Xara Options to import at dpi specified in the file.

You can set bitmap import options in Xara Options.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	importing-bitmaps.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	82513

This changes none of what I said above though.

What do you mean 'As a link' ??
    Last edited by ShapeShifter; 23 June 2011 at 10:16 PM.

they are embedded not linked, xara does not link to images, so the dpi is not relevant really just the pixel size and the memory this uses as mentioned
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

linked as handrawn said, it only shows as 96 dpi on screen but when output for press as pdf cmyk, it outputs from a folder with the original picture resolution, lets say 300 dpi. Maybe this can be something the future version can have.

It seems you are confusing screen scaling with print resolution.
    All graphics on screen are shown at Windows 96dpi (default) scaling.

Where are you getting the idea that importing images for your brochure design are somehow linked?
    I read handrawn as also saying they are not linked -- you are confusing

Sorry if i am confusing, one look at my avatar and you know i am crazy.

i will try to explain.

I have 50 images at 300 dpi, I bring them into my layout and then run out of memory.

Scenario 2

In Indesign you can bring in images but it displays them at 96 dpi and you can bring in
    as many as you want without running out of memory, because in reality the program is linking only a preview at 96 dpi from the images stored on the hard drive.

Once output in pdf, then all those images are output at 300 dpi, if you can not understand this then forgive me, maybe i had too many carrots

Hi Behzad--I do like the avatar. Did you draw it?

Yes, Ventura also uses a low resolution image for placement but uses the linked image for print. However, to compare apples to apples, CorelDraw doesn't link (at least it didn't last time I upgraded). Well, Illustrator can link or embed, your choice today. And for doing small 4-12 page publications, linking would be a good wish-list item.

Once above X size of publication, I would personally opt for using a layout application.

Take care, Mike

a disadvantage with not having images embedded but externally linked is if you move them the link gets broken

that said I'd agree with Mike - there is a limit to what is achievable in one XAR doc, especially as the program is 32bit

one approach is to break your project down into multiple XAR docs - but if you decide to go with a dedicated layout app that links, its good practice to keep copies of your images in a specific folder[s] for linking, so they don't get accidentally moved

it may be my imagination, but ever since webstuff was incorporated into xara, the largeres image handling seems to have got worse [less memory available?]

[and go easy on the carrots my friend, or you'll get hiccups ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...