View Poll Results: Poll question

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get Windows XP

13 86.67%
  • Stay in the stone age with Win98

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another option would be to directly ask at the Symantec Canadian site whether you can get an upgrade without the hassle of ordering from the U.S. They have a "feedback" and inquiry page at:
    http://www.symantec.ca/techsupp/feedback_tech_ask.html

Good Luck.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Another option would be to directly ask at the Symantec Canadian site whether you can get an upgrade without the hassle of ordering from the U.S. They have a "feedback" and inquiry page here.

Good Luck.

P.S. Sorry about the duplicate post. I thought I'd stopped that first one before it got sent.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

David

I've been using XP Home since the first of the year and Xara has been running very well. Not perfectly mind you, but well enough. And although it still crashes from time to time, it is very seldom when compared to Win 98. And I have not lost a document yet (touch wood--if I can find any handy). Actually the application that crashes the most often is my stereogram software which was written for Windows 3.1!

That said, there are issues about migrating to XP as opposed to starting out clean. PC Magazine covered these some months ago and perhaps some of these have been cleared up.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I've been using it (home edition) and had no problems at all with the exception of some brushes---and that may not be due to XP at all. Be sure to install all the security patches---XP has lots of holes for hackers!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Glen for the suggestions ... at the worst I'd download the demo of it to use for 30 days until I can get norton's upgrade [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary, I'll be doing a clean install so I've been saving tons of stuff on cd. The worst is waiting for these darn things to format

Maya, I rarely use brushes either ... maybe it was a while back when I had only 128RAM but I learned that they could be dangerous.

Thanks all for the pointers.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

A couple of friends of mine have recently bought new computers that were, TA DA, preloaded with XP, the Home Edition. I don't like all the control, it seems to take the user for granted. The Default MSN Browser and Mail system is really bold of Microsoft to assume that is what the user wants. So that turned me off COMPLETELY from the Home Edition. I also noticed that the desktop icons are not all there. My Computer being an important one is not on the desktop as a default desktop icon, that seemed strange to me. Some would argue that "who wants there desktop cluttered with icons" I argue back "what the hell is a desktop for, but to put things on it that you access all the time, and mine is set up with frequently accessed folders on one side and system and app icons on the other, of course the center is kept cleaned off so I can see my Wolf that Maya made for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So my question is: Is the Professional Edition set up the same way or is it a bit more traditionally set up??

Took a minute to get to the question, but I wanted you to know WHY I am asking the question.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

RAMwolff

Err, yes MSN explorer is there on the start menu after installing, but only as an install option, I immediately removed it. By default when I installed XP Home, IE6 was the default browser and OE the mail client.

XP does operate a clean desktop policy but only as an occaisional scheduled task and you can cancel it when it runs, started up for the first time last week and I said no thanks.

You can bash most of the interface into shape with the power tools Tweak UI (recently pulled by Microsoft, to be replaced in the spring but available elsewhere on the internet, I reckon it was because of the multiple desktop feature, which really messed up my PC, took half an hour to correct what it did)

TweakUI allows you to put any system / folder / program Icons you want back onto the desktop.

Don't like XP chrome, well the classic interface is still available, looks pretty much like Windows 2000 professional. Personally I really like XP chrome (I dislike XP standard, too blue and pastely) it is rather slick.

As far as I know, during beta testing Microsoft did have a 'professional' version of the interface but a majority said they preferred the 'Home' UI.

Major omissions from the home edition are as follows.

Corporate Client/Server network support including Active directory, XP home is mostly a peer to peer network OS

User Security model (only three types Admin / User and Guest with no tailoring)

Multiple processor support

Remote desktop (works a bit like PC Anywhere). However you still get remote assistance via the Internet, I've been able to remotely connect to another XP Home machine online and operate their computer, all be it a bit slowly via a 56K modem.

XP home was the first Microsoft OS I ever pre-ordered and so far it has met all my expectations. The 20 year old, 16 bit DOS legacy is finally consigned to history and I can still play games [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

HTH

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

)<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My computer was bought about a year ago new ... since then I have added some components which are all new. I shouldn't have any hardware issues (famous last words ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I built a new system out of new and old components last October and did a clean install of WinXP Home OEM. This is without a doubt the most stable computer I have ever had and I have to chalk most of it up to WinXP.

WinXP installed drivers for most of my hardware right off the CD including one 3 year old Matrox G400 dual head video card and an even older Matrox Mystique G200. The only hardware issues I had were with my Epson Photo 875DC printer and my Wacom tablet. In both cases I was able to use Win2K drivers to get them to work.

The only software issue I had was with Roxio CD Creator 6 which flat out will not work under WinXP though version 7 will. For what burning I do the built in WinXP utility does the job though it is somewhat limited and I suspect I will have to find something sooner or later.

WinXPs built in utilities has made it unecessary to install many of the helper apps I used to use including my image browser and zip utility. All in all I'm a happy XP camper.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Lacey:

WinXPs built in utilities has made it unecessary to install many of the helper apps I used to use including my image browser and zip utility. All in all I'm a happy XP camper.

Ron<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is one of the reasons MS got sued. I like having helper apps made by the little guy.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

WOW ... installation was smooth (told it to just start clean and delete the whole drive contents first). What really has impressed me is that I'm online using my cable connection ....and I didn't do a thing ...how did it do that! . It was a bit of a concern as to how to get that hooked up again but apparently it did it for me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg