Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Why is Printing Considered a Change?

I am curious, why is printing considered a change?
    ( I open, print, close -Xara asks me if I want to 'Save' changes -there have been none )
    Tom - Hwy101

Default Re: Why is Printing Considered a Change?

I've always wondered about that myself. Though to be fair, this behavior is not exclusive to Xara. If I open a Word document I'd created previously, and print to CutePDF, it asks if I want to save the doc when I close Word, even if I didn't make any changes.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

If one changes which printer XDP is going to, it is considered a change. Unlike Word, which remembers which printer it is composing the print job to, XDP forgets, but it is still thoughtful enough to consider it a change. I suspect it is setting and reading the "isDirty" flag, but not saving the changed printer to the file.

At least that's what my XDP does. If I only open it and print to the default printer, it doesn't ask to save it.

Take care, Mike

Is retaining the designated printer an OS thing? I'm still using Win XP. On my system, XDP7 does not consider a change in the printer to be a change in the document.

XDP7 remembers the printer until the end of the session or until it's changed. When I reopen XDP, it goes again to the default printer until I change it. That's also true in XDP6.

BTW, I'm familiar with printer retention as part of a file. I've used that for years in WordPro. However, I've never seen Word do it.

Exporting (to jpg, png etc.) is considered a change too, in X1.

I noticed that too...
    Tom - Hwy101

some programs remember the print settings from job to job so assume printing in those cases would be something the program would need saving for that to happen.
    If I print to PDF (Bluebeam) from Word it actually writes something to the Word file so I am told.

I have Bluebeam 9 and Word 2003 on this machine. BB won't print to pdf from Word 2003 via the normal print dialog, although it does in other apps. A "now printing" message box pops up, but no file is created. No prompt for saving is displayed when I exit the file.

BB does generate a pdf when I use the "Create PDF" command on the Bluebeam menu. When I exit the file, I do get a save prompt. During the same Word session, I can reopen the file and it will show BB as the selected printer (as it would for any other last-used printer), even though it won't generate a pdf that way. And the next time I open the file, the Print dialog goes to the default printer.

So far, I haven't been able to trigger a save prompt in Xara from just printing.