Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Disappearing web file

I was updating one of my older sites with WD7 and suddenly the auto save started stating that it was unable to save the file and kept doing so over and over. So I clicked save as: then saved to overwrite the file which promptly disappeared. I thought no problem as I keep a copy online with the site on the server but as would have it this was the one site where I didn't. So anyone have any ideas where my file went to???

Incidently my computer doesn't seem to show my web files as such but as windows data files. Any ideas why this is? looks like I have a rebuild on my hands.

Have just run a file recovery programme and it is as if the site web file never existed. No trace of it ever being there....stranger and stranger.......

Ken
    Last edited by mentorman; 08 June 2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add more info

Default Re: Disappearing web file

With any luck you may have a recent backup file. WD7 makes a backup every ten minutes by default.

Go to File > Open Recent, and at the bottom of the dialog you'll see Backups... Click this option and look at the times the backups were made to see which is your latest backup.

You may need to go back a few backups but there should be something there to keep from having to start from scratch.

Default Re: Disappearing web file

Thanks Gary but I checked the backup files and the only ones there that referred to this site were all timed for yesterday when WD7 stated it couldn't save the files. Any one of the eight or so back ups I try to open gives the message "failed to read xara file(failed to read record 76217 65535). I also noticed that I had a "problem detected in document,found extra objects in shadow group, extra objects deleted" warning when I opened up WD7 this morning.

Seems like a visit to the Xara boffins is needed unless anyone else has any ideas. Gets stranger and stranger
    ken