Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using DP6 to Create a User-input Form

Requirement :-

Create a Form that can be sent to a customer as an email attachment. The customer must be able to Save and Open the Form with software that is available on most Windows computers. The customer should then be able to enter the requested information in the Form, Save the Form and then attach it to an email and return it to the sender.

I could achieve the above using MS Word. But it is a real pain to layout a complex Form using Word. I would much prefer to do this using DP6 as it is considerably easier to lay the Form out.

But... I simply cannot see a DP6 Export file-format that I could use to achieve this result.

Any ideas from the experts would be very much appreciated.

Tks

T.

Default Re: Using DP6 to Create a User-input Form

I don't believe this is possible using DP6.

[edit: I think the best you can do is to include a link to a web page with a form on it.]

Thanks Pauland for your feedback.

Due to privacy concerns the client does not want to use a website.

Hmmm.... seems like it is back to that pain in the rear end MS Word then

T

I like EXCEL for this type of thing. Lock all areas of form except the input fields (which can use dropdowns, and other features.)
    Easier than MS Word for this type thing.
    And data can be extracted as CSV file!

Make background white all cells
    Hide columns/rows not used
    Lock all cells
    Unlock only the things you want them to have access to (the input fields)
    Hide (turn off) headers (column and row guides)
    "protect sheet" to make the lockout of cells work
    to unlock the sheet and play with it use the password xara
    Been making these forms for years!
    Here's a really simple one. Made in excel 2010 but downgraded to Excel 2003 (.xls) format.
    Can be really dressy. Look nice with colors/graphics.
    Use websafe fonts for compatability!

Email a form.zip

Just remember that credit card, ss and other private data can be seen in this if it is sent through email.
    Last edited by samrc; 08 June 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: took me about 5 minutes to make this example
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Samantha, thank you for the suggestion and the detailed reply and the attached example.

I agree, EXCEL is a more designer-friendly environment for creating Forms - and of course one has all the programming power of EXCEL to use "behind" the Form itself. And the CSV extraction option is useful.

On the downside, it is the very power of EXCEL that creates doubt in a recipients mind. I know that I personally never trust an EXCEL SS and will always download them in a Sandbox and then do an AV scan and then take a good look behnid every cell for every function. Sounds a bit paranoid doesn't it - but then EXCEL is an exceptionally powerful tool which has all the functionality to do almost anything.

Now wouldn't it be nice if those genius programmers at Xara were to add a new function to DP8 - "Create a User Form", which could be exported in a PDF-type format that could be opened and filled-in by almost every Windows user. One can dream can't one...? ..

T.

Just to be on the record....the Excel file I posted does not contain macros or live content.

Excel is as potentially dangerous as Word. Both CAN include macros and active content that can be damaging. If however you build a document in either program without active content (macros and such) you lower the risk to that of any attachment. And lets face it, all attachments should be treated with caution and scanned fully before opening!

Using Adobe Acrobat to create interactive forms is the best option for your situation, but dealing with Adobe products is always a pain. Xara's would definitely be easier...if it were to ever be a reality.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

I completely agree. Word has as much potential as Excel to contain Malware. The reality however is that the perception (rightly or wrongly) is that one should be very careful of Excel. I know in advance that if I do this in Excel it will not be well received. And as for Adobe Acrobat..... of all the worst names chosen this is right up there..... the dictionary definition for Acrobat is "....skilled in feats of balance and agility...." Adobe's product must be about as far as it is possible to get from "balance and agility".

I am still imagining this button in DP8... "Create User Form" .... that really has a good ring to it

T.

If you're creating a pdf form, you can lay it out in Xara, but you'll still need a pdf app with form creation capabilities. Acrobat isn't the only solution for creating pdf forms. Google around and you'll find a variety of options, some of them not so expensive. However, with any pdf form, the end user will be able to fill it out and print it, but they won't be able to save it and email it back unless they're using an app that's more than a reader. Depending on the pdf form and what you need, it might be feasible to have people scan the completed form and email the scan.

Foxit Reader allows users to fill in forms in a PDF, and then save the file. In fact, I'd been using the program for so long that I was actually surprised when I first started my current job (just over a year ago), and loaded up a PDF in Adobe Reader, and couldn't save the information I'd filled in.

There is an exception to this. The PDFs for US Tax forms are structured in such a way that Adobe Reader will let you save the files (found that out about 5 years ago). Not sure if this a standard feature in Acrobat that's simply turned off by default, or some special deal worked out between Adobe and the US DoT.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

You're correct. Foxit Reader will allow you to save a completed form. I'd forgotten about that.