Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Yikes... Error code: -6 DP cannot be started....

Egad, I may have stepped in the doo doo. I resized the `C:\' partitions since it seemed to be getting a bit small.

I used Minitool Partition Wizard professional edition to do the resizing.

As it happens, Xara was the first thing I tried to start... The full error messages mentions that reinstalling may help. (I hope so)

============================================
    o Magix Designer Pro

o The program could not be started. It's possible that the
    o installation folder is damaged.

o Reinstalling the program could remedy the problem
    o if the error occurs again, please contact support.

o error code: -6
    ============================================

I found a thread here from June 2010:

HERE

A fellow named `Sledger' responed with this:

This can happen if the setup file is damaged, Try downloading a new copy?
    Also, a RAM error can cause corrupt installations.
    If at all possible I would like to fix this without doing a full uninstall reinstall.

I wondered if what `Sledger' says is also true for Designer Pro, and where one might get a clean copy of the "setup file"?

I do have Designer pro installed on one other machine so maybe there.... but what is the name?

So far I've started quite a few other installed programs (like Adobe CS4 suite), and had no problems, even something that got installed with DPro (Magix Photo Designer) starts right up.

However "Xara 3D Maker 7" gives the same error and will not start.

so, more mess to clean up.

Any advice besides don't monkey with working partitions?

I did take a backup of C drive before making the changes, so I could probably put the partition back to its original size and overwrite with the backup image. Not sure I'd even need to size it back... but any way I go, it sounds like more mucking around than I want to do.
    Xara Designer Pro 6.1.2.13287 Running on Win7 (64 bit)

Default Re: Yikes... Error code: -6 DP cannot be started....

Harry try a repair, I believe that is one of the options available for XDP6 when you use Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Harry try a repair, I believe that is one of the options available for XDP6 when you use Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel.
    Well it was a nice thought... I did make the repair but then it will not activate. Says I have too many activations already and I have to call.

But that indicates the program will run once the number of activations has been resolved.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    But that indicates the program will run once the number of activations has been resolved.
    Yes, and thanks for the heads up about that `repair' choice.

And is it reasonable to have to reactivate due to a partition resize? The only tools on this machine that have complained are Designer 6, and Xara 3D maker 7.

An Adobe suite of CS4 seems not to have any such problem. Several NLE tools like `Vegas', and its DVDArchitect had no problems. In fact nothing else out of some 82 installed problems, has had any problem from the resize.... just Xara tools.

Further, if there are limits on number of activations there should be some obvious way to deactive a tool in one place to allow it to be activated somewhere else.... like the way adobe handles activation.

Hopefully there is some procedure like that and I'm just not seeing it.

As it stands right now, I've filed an official request for activation, where there is a procedure for, but it says right off that it will be several days before you get activated.... So far... it hasn't happened.

The partition resize probably generated a new unique id for the partition which is not unusual. This would require a new registration if the id is used to identify where the installation is taking place. It seems that partition id is part of the MAGIX tracking system.

Any time you resize an existing partition there is a risk of corrupting any already installed software. Some of the applications sectors may become overwritten, or the application may check the partition id where it is installed and a change will flag a warning similar to what you saw.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update