Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: DP7 & PSD file format

Hi Steve,

Yes, your .psd file opened after "run as admin..." GOOD THINKING! I was also able to open the original 110mb file I posted earlier with results similar to Rik's "mixed results". Next step is to follow Mike's 3 adjustment suggestions and see what works.

Mike - Am I to assume you mean flatten layers in a different program prior to opening it in DP7 or is there a flattening function in DP7?

In any case MANY THANKS to you guys for these suggestions. I should have remembered "run as admin" from my previous challenge. This forum is awesome!

Cliff

I think MIke meant make a copy PSD and flatten the layers in that in photoshop - and then save that, which should then open in XDP7
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You are probably correct and Mike meant to use photoshop before opening in DP7. I was hoping to keep it simple and avoid Adobe for these types of projects. I enjoy Xara products very much and would prefer using DP7 whenever possible. I'll keep at it...Mike suggestions will help.

Thanks again! Cliff

ok - well there may be ways of doing things from scratch in XDP7 rather than in PS - just ask

do - you want the example files removed?
    Nothing lasts forever...

sure. I will remove the files from Dropbox as well.

done
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sorry for coming back late in the day. Got up and spent a couple hours hard at work then golfed the rest of the day.

In answer...yes, at least the adjustment layers need flattened prior to a good import into XDP. It's not a biggie for the simple reason that once designed, its already opened! So what I do when I think I have a PSD ready for prime time is to first save a copy, flatten any adjustment layers and any text layers *if* I have added any shadows or other textual embellishments. Depending on the file, I may save a TIFF of the file, especially if I am saving a color space in a CMYK file. Saving as a TIFF obviates any importation issues in just about any application.

I am not sure if I am recalling properly, but with XDP6 I think I had issues importing PSD files that had a CMYK color space defined in them as well. So with any complex PSD file, I think the TIFF export is the quickest, most assured way from PS to the layout app.

Take care, Mike

Mike,

I was thinking about .psd files downloaded from external sources that need tweaking rather than my original artwork files in .psd. Nevertheless, the options you provide are very helpful and I'm in the process of experimenting with these options so I can save a step by just bringing the .psd file directly into DP7 for quick edits that will be webpage bitmaps. For more complex graphics such as the original one posted I believe you are right on with the 3 suggestions you offer. It'll be another late night playing with this new info but you've made it more enjoyable with these options.

Have a good one!

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Likely most PSDs off the internet won't be too involved with adjustment layers. You'll likely not have any issues inside of XDP.

Take care, Mike